Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
I picked up a Mac Mini 2011 base model and decided I wanted to add an SSD. Got a good deal on an Intel 330 180GB which is a 9.5mm thick drive according to the specs. But when I put it into the bottom spot that originally had the 500GB HDD the SATA cable was stretched tight around the bottom of the drive and when you fasten everything in place the cable pops out of the socket on the logic board because it is being stretched across the case of the SSD. It is like the SATA cable is a few mm too short to accommodate a 9.5mm thick drive? The original 500GB HDD seems to be a few mm thinner than the SSD which is why it does not have the issue.

I have an OWC Doubler kit on order and I am hoping that I can use that to move the SSD to the second spot and the new, second SATA cable will fit OK. It should, since the OWC info says it accommodates 9.5mm drives.

Anyone else run into this issue trying to install in the bottom slot?

MacOSXuser

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto
didnt finish reading your post but you said you put the drive in the bottom section? Put it to the top section you will be able to connect the cable. I put a 9.5mm SSD in the top section with no problems.

chouseworth

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2012
Wake Forest, NC
Mine was a tight fit (OCZ Vertex 4 replacing the stock 1TB drive). Barely got the cable to the connector. At first it would not reach, but then I reseated the hard drive and ensured that I had the logic board pushed back in as far as possible. But you are right, it has no slack in it. It would be nice to have a source for a slightly longer cable.

MacOSXuser

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto
Mine was a tight fit (OCZ Vertex 4 replacing the stock 1TB drive). Barely got the cable to the connector. At first it would not reach, but then I reseated the hard drive and ensured that I had the logic board pushed back in as far as possible. But you are right, it has no slack in it. It would be nice to have a source for a slightly longer cable.

same, using vertex 4.

OP: you need to OWC doubler kit sata cable to fit the driver in bottom slot

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
didnt finish reading your post but you said you put the drive in the bottom section? Put it to the top section you will be able to connect the cable. I put a 9.5mm SSD in the top section with no problems.

Should have been clearer. When I said bottom, I mean the bottom as referenced with Mac in normal operating orientation. With Mac flipped over and bottom cover removed it is the "top" slot, closest to the logic board.

----------

same, using vertex 4.

OP: you need to OWC doubler kit sata cable to fit the driver in bottom slot

The kit is on order and waiting to get it. While I was waiting I thought I would go ahead and do the ssd swap with the original HDD. I will now wait for the owc kit to arrive and try again but this time the HDD will go in the original position and ssd will go at the "top". That is furthest from logic board, up against the top of the Mac mini in normal orientation.

Just wanted to share this finding since my google search didn't turn up any posts of the problem. Hopefully this will avoid problems for someone else looking to do an ssd swap. Pick a slim ssd. My intel 330 is a fixed 9.5mm. The intel 520 series has a removable shim to make it slimmer which I assume would work in this case.

MacOSXuser

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto
ok, when i say top, i mean when you flip the mini over. i dont know what you are talking about closest to logic board.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
ok, when i say top, i mean when you flip the mini over. i dont know what you are talking about closest to logic board.

When I turn over the Mac mini I choose not to change the meaning of top and bottom. The slot closest to the bottom access cover I call the bottom slot and the other slot I call the top slot since it is above the bottom slot when the Mac mini is in its normal operating right side up position.

Logic board lays along the bottom of the Mac mini next to the round black cover that covers the bottom of the Mac mini. The HDD slot on this same bottom is the same bottom slot that the original HDD is placed in. I tried to put my ssd in that position previously occupied by the original HDD using the same sata cable that was attached to the original HDD. The original HDD is a 7mm thick drive and that cable is stretched tight across the HDD. When you place a 9.5mm thick ssd or HDD there is an extra 2.5mm of cable length required. The provided cable does not have enough slack to do this. When the OWC kit arrives it will contain a longer Sata cable that will reach to the other slot and I will mount my 9.5mm ssd there. Problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.