Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ConnectEU

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Sorry for being completely clueless about this, but, I have a lot of great films stored on my iPad - all of which are in mp4 (mpeg 4) format. I'd like to be able to watch these movies on my large screen Samsung Smart TV with my family.

I guess both my parents and I are curious as to whether or not we would be able to successfully transfer movies (through the air?) from my iPad or even iPhone to Apple TV and essentially watch mp4 movies from the tablet device to the Samsung Smart TV. I guess I'd just like to know whether I'd be able to do this before investing $100.00 in Apple TV.

Thanks, everyone..

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
AirPlay is pretty awesome. If your films play from the normal "Movies" iOS app, and both your iPad and AppleTV are hooked up to the same WiFi network, you should be able to stream them.

The subject of your thread says "transfer". You can't actually copy them to the AppleTV (AFAIK) to be watched independently (w/o your iPad). They stream live from your iPad, but that sounds like what you're actually after anyways. :)

FWIW, I'm not sure what country you're in, but in the US, it shouldn't be hard to buy an AppleTV from a place that would let you return it without any restock fees, in the off chance you guys don't end up liking it.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
If the videos are also in your iTunes library, the AppleTv would be able to find and play them from there. AirPlay is great, but if I can get it on the AppleTv without hopping through the iPhone or iPad I prefer to do it that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.