Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
There are no physical buttons.

Got a refurbished hard drive from Micro Center. But it shows all those silly icons--representing no Mac OS.

But my old hard drive is dead so I can't boot up to get the Tiger DVD is there.

I already tried holding the mouse button on boot-up to open the dvd drive--no luck.

How can I get the DVD/CD drive to open? It's such a stupid design not not to have a physical eject button.

Thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Nothing worked, not even the old hard drive. So I put my finger nail under the DVD door on the cover of the tower and opened it. Inside there is a small white lever I pushed in with a pen and then pulled the drive out. However, with everything back together with the new drive, it kicks out the CD after about 20 seconds.You can push it in but it comes back out after about 20 seconds again. So just for fun, I put the office CD in and the CD player comes alive and and spins but of course nothing comes up on the screen.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Nothing worked, not even the old hard drive. So I put my finger nail under the DVD door on the cover of the tower and opened it. Inside there is a small white lever I pushed in with a pen and then pulled the drive out. However, with everything back together with the new drive, it kicks out the CD after about 20 seconds.You can push it in but it comes back out after about 20 seconds again. So just for fun, I put the office CD in and the CD player comes alive and and spins but of course nothing comes up on the screen.

So, I'm assuming you do not have an eject button on the keyboard?
First, are you sure the System disk is in order?
Second, have you checked the connections on the back of the optical drive.
Third, did you press "C" when booting up?
Finally, if all else fails, do you have a second computer in the household?

RGDS,
Pekka

P.S. I agree, hiding the hardware eject button is not problem free.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
So, I'm assuming you do not have an eject button on the keyboard?
First, are you sure the System disk is in order?
Second, have you checked the connections on the back of the optical drive.
Third, did you press "C" when booting up?
Finally, if all else fails, do you have a second computer in the household?

RGDS,
Pekka

P.S. I agree, hiding the hardware eject button is not problem free.

No eject button the keyboard. But I did get the DVD in and it just spits it out on boot up with our without the c key pressed.

I am posting this for a friend. There is 2 year old Intel Macbook in the house, but no PPC Macs and an old Thinkpad--but no FireWire on it.

I tried on both Slave and Master.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I tried on both Slave and Master.

I can't check my quicksilver (it's hidden away in a closet), but if you're working with a optical + 1 HDD setup, I'd put them in separate IDE/PATA channels (different ribbon cables) and set both to master.

Do you have any other bootable disks, which would allow you to test, whether the problem might be related to the disk or the drive.

I had some similar problems with my MDD, but my problem was that I could not get my superdrive to read CD's.

RGDS,
Pekka

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
If nothing comes up on the screen, then you have video issues. You should at least be getting a flashing folder or some icon upon boot.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
If nothing comes up on the screen, then you have video issues. You should at least be getting a flashing folder or some icon upon boot.

The Video card is good. My friend does get icons when he just tries to boot from the new (refurbished) hard drive--like it can't find a Mac OS.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I believe I have a bad disk, because the optical drive spins when I try to boot from other disks (non--bootable disks like Office). The optical drive doesn't spin with the Tiger DVD.

So now I need to find where to buy Tiger DVD.

craisin

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
New Zealand
I believe I have a bad disk, because the optical drive spins when I try to boot from other disks (non--bootable disks like Office). The optical drive doesn't spin with the Tiger DVD.

So now I need to find where to buy Tiger DVD.

Sounds like the optical drive only sees CDs not DVDs

craisin

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
New Zealand
Well it has DVD-Rom drive and my friend said he played DVD movies on there prior so I don't know. I still think bad Tiger DVD.

So Ive played movies on a Dell XP machine the PC crashed I pulled it to bits and the DVD drive never worked again.

I am glad Macs aint like that

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
So Ive played movies on a Dell XP machine the PC crashed I pulled it to bits and the DVD drive never worked again.

I am glad Macs aint like that

Take it easy Cowboy. The DVD/CD RW drive is good. This is not a PC/Mac issue. The DVD is bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.