Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njooste

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Hey everybody,

This is my first post on this forum, however I have been monitoring the iMac section everyday since January 2012 in anticipation of the new iMac. I have had a long time to make a decision but as the title says I'm not 100% sure of what to get. That's why I'm here to ask for advice!

Furthermore I'd like to say that I do sometimes play games, however I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore gamer. I love Mass Effect and Skyrim, and theres some more titles that I like to play. I'm also into music producing, and watching the occasional movie and series.

1. I have been to an Apple store several times to check out the screen sizes, and I am about 99% sure I am going for the 27in model.
2. I'll get the standard RAM and probably upgrade in the future when I need to
3. I'm not sure about storage; what do you guys suggest? Getting the standard 1tb spinner or pay EU 250,- more for the Fusion drive?
4. Also not sure about the video card. What's your guys opinion on upgrading to the GTX 680MX? Does anyone have an idea as to how much that will cost?

I'm just curious about your guys' opinion. I've had a windows tower for about 7 years and I'm hoping to work with the new iMac for as long as possible. I appreciate any suggestions!

i make movies

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Some things to consider...also, for the record, since the iMac is not out yet, please take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm basing my info on all the past iMacs (I have 27" i7 2.8 GHz)

You 100% cannot update the CPU or the GPU card, so you'll need to figure out if you want to pay for the upgrade at the time of purchase. I would think that, if you had the money for it, those 2 things would help future-proof the iMac.

For hard drives, while you can add one after you buy it, it's incredibly tricky and does require technical know-how (just to start, you have to pull the glass off, then remove the screen from the logic board). I haven't done it on mine because my model seems to be the most difficult, but later models seem to be easier. But the payoff is amazing...I dropped a 6G Mercury extreme 480 SSD in my 2011 17" MBP and the speed difference is unreal. Booting up in less than 7 seconds, all apps launching instantaneously. That's where you'll see the biggest gains in speed. The Fusion Drive looks promising, but it can't beat the sheer speed and utter lack of latency with full-fledge 6G SSD.

RAM, you should 100% be able to add the max after the fact...if you can't, Apple really screwed up.

I'd also recommend waiting until December for a slew of benchmarks to come out for these new iMacs to see if certain things are worth upgrading for.

I'd do the upgrade for CPU and GPU only if you're a hardcore gamer and/or if you'll be using any professional app (anything by Adobe, Resolve, probably FCPx, Avid, etc.) or if you want to future proof the iMac. I'd guess that the CPU update will cost in the USD $150 - 250 range and the GPU will cost around the same.

Hope this helps...I know I'm all over the place with this.

knapp40

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Hey everybody,

This is my first post on this forum, however I have been monitoring the iMac section everyday since January 2012 in anticipation of the new iMac. I have had a long time to make a decision but as the title says I'm not 100% sure of what to get. That's why I'm here to ask for advice!

Furthermore I'd like to say that I do sometimes play games, however I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore gamer. I love Mass Effect and Skyrim, and theres some more titles that I like to play. I'm also into music producing, and watching the occasional movie and series.

1. I have been to an Apple store several times to check out the screen sizes, and I am about 99% sure I am going for the 27in model.
2. I'll get the standard RAM and probably upgrade in the future when I need to
3. I'm not sure about storage; what do you guys suggest? Getting the standard 1tb spinner or pay EU 250,- more for the Fusion drive?
4. Also not sure about the video card. What's your guys opinion on upgrading to the GTX 680MX? Does anyone have an idea as to how much that will cost?

I'm just curious about your guys' opinion. I've had a windows tower for about 7 years and I'm hoping to work with the new iMac for as long as possible. I appreciate any suggestions!

I know I'm going to get blasted for this but I really don't think that the 2012 iMac is worth it. You are going to be buying mid 2012 specs for a premium price.
If Apple can't release a new desktop that is reasonably close to new hardware specs and keep people in the dark about release/delay of their products (I'm looking at you iTunes 11) (and iMac ) then they don't get my money. I bought a windows 8 machine that is lighting fast - boots in 10 seconds. That is more powerful, play more range of games (skyrim is so amazing on a gtx 680) and costs less. If you do decide to stay with the iMac you may have to mess around with bootcamp which may or may not work if you also decide to play games on the windows partition. So if I where you with what you have stated thus far I would go for a windows machine and save money.

For what it's worth I do own several Mac products macpros and other MBPs and love them. But don't expect the latest and greatest or expect to build a gaming machine. Good luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.