Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teaman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
I have my AppleTV 3rd gen hooked up to an Onkyo receiver via the HDMI and digital audio ports on both. It works great for audio/video combinations like movies and netflix. But when I use airplay for just audio like from Raditaz the audio becomes choppy if I turn off my HDTV flat panel which is also connected to the same receiver. The HDTV is connected to the receiver's output HDMI port and has a different digital audio cable between it and the receiver. I have found that if I unplug the HDMI cable between the AppleTV and the receiver the audio plays fine with the TV off. Or if I leave the HDTV on and the HDMI cable between the AppleTV and receiver connected, it plays fine.

Why is the AppleTV 3 wigging out when the HDTV is turned off? It is acting like it requires the HDTV to sense a signal for feedback or something. When the HDTV is on during the Raditaz streaming via Airplay, it displays the album cover there instead of on my iPhone (where the Airplay signal originates.) But if I turn off the destination display, it shouldn't affect the audio stream I wouldn't think.

StrangeMagic66

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2013
Same problem here. I just posted about it. I just upgraded my TV and it's happening with my new TV. It didn't happen with my old one. Did you ever figure out the problem? I also have an Onkyo receiver. TV is Sony Bravia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.