Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
So right now I have Cable at one house and Direct TV at another. I'm thinking about cutting costs and getting Wideband internet (50mb Down, 5mb Up) and loosing the cable side. I know ABC, NBC and CBS offer shows on their website, are their any other free sites that offer TV shows to fully replace having cable?

Some other free ones I know about our: Crackle & Hulu. Looking for HD quality on shows as well.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Aside from illegal sites that pirate the signal, you're not going to find too many (if any) cable channels offering free HD streams of their network or shows. The reason ABC/NBC/CBS offer them is because they're not cable channels, they're broadcast channels. You can cut the cord and still get the full channel with a digital antenna (assuming you're in range).

But... if you're looking to cut costs, and you're already paying probably upwards of at least 100 bucks a month for your cable packages, it might be a good idea to have a Netflix and Hulu+ subscription. I think both are available for 8 bucks a month. That's probably the best way I'd recommend to continue enjoy watching your favorite shows without paying an expensive cable bill.

PS - if you enjoy History channel shows, some of those are available on their site to stream.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
It doesn't seem like the network stations offer shows the same time they are showing (esp for east-coasters). Is there a way to get them "live" so to speak?

Unfortunately in my area it's more expensive for high speed internet only than it is for that plus basic cable.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
It doesn't seem like the network stations offer shows the same time they are showing (esp for east-coasters). Is there a way to get them "live" so to speak?

Unfortunately in my area it's more expensive for high speed internet only than it is for that plus basic cable.

I pay about $85 a month for business broadband (19mb down 1mb up) with whole home DVR, HD channels and Showtime. For the same price I can get 50mb down and 5mb up and just stream my shows.

None of the shows my wife and I watch on ABC, CBS are ever live, it's always right after or the next day and since most of our shows play at 10pm we normally watch them the next day. I think right now I'm looking for HBO for Game of Thrones which they don't offer an internet package and AMC for Mad Men.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
If you start doing HD streaming make sure they don't have any bandwidth caps. You will hit your limits quick. The only reason you really need cable is if you are a sports fan or don't want to be delayed in watching first run programing.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
If you start doing HD streaming make sure they don't have any bandwidth caps. You will hit your limits quick. The only reason you really need cable is if you are a sports fan or don't want to be delayed in watching first run programing.

From my understanding (and when I talked to them) their is no streaming caps per month nor do they have the intentions on establishing one (hope this remains true). Good thing is it's a month to month service not a year by year contract so if it does happen I can always cancel.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I just have basic cable for $10/month. I get about 80 or so channels, some in HD. It's a pretty good deal in my opinion, just no movie channels unfortunately. But with the major networks, ESPN, AMC, etc, there's usually something good to watch.

I also have a Netflix streaming subscription for $8/month. Most of the content isn't too great, but there're some old shows that I like, and some fairly recent ones that are popular (like HIMYM).

And when neither of those two options suit me, I just go to Hulu, CBS, etc on my computer, which is hooked up to my TV.

I also get around 25-30mbps down and 5-8mbps up. My internet/basic cable is $40/month :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.