Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:28 AM   #26
talmy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenr View Post
Which may also explain their update cycle. They grew their business when software was distributed on physical disks and annual updates were normal. Personally, I don't find a most recent version of July 2012 alarming at all, but maybe that's just me. I do realize their user interface is somewhat dated, update cycles have become shorter and businesses have to adapt to stay competitive.
I can't speak particularly about DevonThink, but these short cycles are not to fix bugs but to introduce new features. How often are these new features really useful? How often do these changes disrupt workflow while learning new interfaces? How often do these changes introduce bugs?

Give me a stable program that's been around for years over somebody's beta code any day!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:08 AM   #27
jojoba
macrumors 65816

On the DT issue:
I have DevonThink pro and think it's excellent, but I don't use it for everyday note taking since iPad sync hasn't come very far yet.

Quote:
Seems basic, right? And other apps you can purchase (as opposed to rent) have PDF search. But for Evernote, it's listed as a "premium feature", so five bucks a month for eternity it is.
The free version already searched all my pdfs that had been OCR-ed. I think the premium feature includes stuff like OCR-ing PDFs that need it, and also making your hand writing searchable. But I see your basic argument about subscription vs one off payment.

----------
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:17 PM   #28
epicmar
macrumors regular

As to Devonthink versus CP Notebook, only using one or the other, only on the iPad, not a lot of original input (I use an external Zagg keyboard), but mostly, short meeting notes, reviewing documents prepared by other people and providing feedback notes and edits, and lots of reference PDFs (1000+) that I need to keep organized and easy to find - does Devonthink or CP Notebook offer a better solution than my current combination of Notability/Goodreader/Appigo ToDo?

I already own 10+ notetaking apps, every major PDF filing/annotation app, Projectbook, Beesy, etc.
epicmar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:40 PM   #29
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

CP Notebook has not been updated in 7 months.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:49 PM   #30
epicmar
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
CP Notebook has not been updated in 7 months.
The App Store shows it was updated on 2/9/13 and 10/17/12.
epicmar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:04 PM   #31
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicmar View Post
The App Store shows it was updated on 2/9/13 and 10/17/12.
The Mac version that is.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:27 AM   #32
jojoba
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicmar View Post
As to Devonthink versus CP Notebook, only using one or the other, only on the iPad, not a lot of original input (I use an external Zagg keyboard), but mostly, short meeting notes, reviewing documents prepared by other people and providing feedback notes and edits, and lots of reference PDFs (1000+) that I need to keep organized and easy to find - does Devonthink or CP Notebook offer a better solution than my current combination of Notability/Goodreader/Appigo ToDo?

I already own 10+ notetaking apps, every major PDF filing/annotation app, Projectbook, Beesy, etc.
I short, no I don't think so.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 04:49 PM   #33
svenr
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of subscriptions. That includes Evernote. ... To me that means:
  • Having a third-party without SLA or NDA getting access to sensitive business info.
Sadly, I feel validated:
Evernote users, you’re gonna want to change your password
svenr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
onenote