Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leo D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
I'm thinking about buying a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 but I want to make sure that I will be able to edit these videos in imovie09 (8.0.6). Can anyone advise me regarding compatibility issues? That model doesn't appear on Apple's iMovie '09: Camcorder Support list but other models using the AVCHD format are supported, I'm not sure why. Omission, or maybe not all AVCHD is created equal? Anyway, I don't want to buy this camera if I can't use imovie 09 to edit the videos it produces. Any insight will be appreciated.

Leo D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
What model Lumix do you have? I see quite a few on the list of supported models but not the DMC-ZS30, why would that be? Sorry to be so cautious, but I don't want to make a $400 mistake and I really don't like returning stuff I buy.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
What model Lumix do you have? I see quite a few on the list of supported models but not the DMC-ZS30, why would that be? Sorry to be so cautious, but I don't want to make a $400 mistake and I really don't like returning stuff I buy.

It just means that RAW files are not as yet added to Apples list. The Lumix I use does not have Apple support but it still works perfectly....They release updates for Aperture frequently as cameras are bought to market, but imovie doesn't need that type of support anyway.

Leo D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Macman... I'd rather not convert if there's no need, I was just wondering. I'm not familiar with AVCHD and just assumed imovie09 would convert it to something it likes better, but if it can be edited without conversion that's better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.