Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 3, 2012, 03:38 PM   #1
robjulo
macrumors 6502

Ringer Volume Not Working

Having an issue that started today. I cannot turn my ringer (or other sounds effects or music for that matter) up. When I hit the volume up button, the "Ringer Icon" shows up but refuses to increase. The sound on/off button is switched on (i.e. no orange is showing) and seems to be working (as when I turn it off, the phone vibrates). Music will not sound (it is playing) without the headphones in. Sound effects do not work.

If headphones are in, music plays and sounds normal (through the headphones)and I can control the headphone volume as normal. Sound effects also work through the headphones.

Also, I should note, when I hold the home button, Siri sounds normal. Also, when I go to General Settings and move the volume slider, the ringtone sounds as normal (and in fact the slider can be controlled via the vol up and down buttons; also when I make a call and use the speaker phone, it works fine, so the external speaker is definitely working.

Any ideas? I've already rebooted and already restored settings. I have not done a full factory reinstall and hope to avoid it.

Last edited by robjulo; Mar 3, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
robjulo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 07:09 PM   #2
JAT
In Time-Out

Check the mute switch. Maybe at an Apple Store. Cause it really sounds like that's the problem.
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Hosei
macrumors member

I agree with JAT, maybe you should consult with the apple store and see what they offer to you
Hosei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 06:18 AM   #4
robjulo
macrumors 6502

Took it in and they swapped the phone out. All is well now.

Their assumption was something was going on with the headphone jack.
robjulo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 04:08 PM   #5
mrquin27
macrumors newbie

You have to put your mouth on the headphone jack and suck.. You can't blow on it, you have to suck for it to work. This isn't even a joke google it. Mine does it from time to time. I looked it up and I tried blowing on the headphone jack like the post said wouldn't work.. And still no fix. I sucked on the headphone jack (no tongue) and it has fixed it for me more than once.

Sounds really retarded but I assure you this does work. Google if you don't believe it.
mrquin27 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:04 PM   #6
mrquin27
macrumors newbie

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=30&tstart=0
mrquin27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:42 PM   #7
700-Grizz
macrumors 6502

I just replaced my 4S because my up vol button stopped working as well--felt stuck in, it had no indent at all. They gave me a new one whiten 5 minutes
700-Grizz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:19 PM   #8
carosche
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquin27 View Post
You have to put your mouth on the headphone jack and suck.. You can't blow on it, you have to suck for it to work. This isn't even a joke google it. Mine does it from time to time. I looked it up and I tried blowing on the headphone jack like the post said wouldn't work.. And still no fix. I sucked on the headphone jack (no tongue) and it has fixed it for me more than once.

Sounds really retarded but I assure you this does work. Google if you don't believe it.
OMG! This worked! Thank you!
carosche is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:42 AM   #9
Hls112
macrumors newbie

Hi Robjulo - I'm having exactly the same problem with my iPhone 4S as of today. I've worked through everyone's suggestions on this thread but none of them seem to work. Did you manage to sort the problem you were having? Anyone else any other ideas (aside from going into the Apple Store)?
Not sure if it's relevant, but every so often for a couple of seconds the sound will return.
Hls112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:51 PM   #10
Juicygurl
macrumors newbie

Try silentmode switcher in cydia. Worked for me.
Juicygurl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:45 AM   #11
Lunchbox700
macrumors regular

I also had this problem, it's not always the earphone jack sometimes it's the dock connector the phone thinks its plugged in to a speaker dock and so disables volume controls. Take it in to be replaced. The only thing is hope you get someone that realizes almost all phones water detector has been tripped. He looked at mine and was like "yea the sensor tripped,but the phone looks fine" and swapped them for me.
Lunchbox700 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:07 AM   #12
bonvits13
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Thanks LunchBox700

Thanks LunchBox700.
It really work. I change the dock then the volume for the ringer is now fully functioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox700 View Post
I also had this problem, it's not always the earphone jack sometimes it's the dock connector the phone thinks its plugged in to a speaker dock and so disables volume controls. Take it in to be replaced. The only thing is hope you get someone that realizes almost all phones water detector has been tripped. He looked at mine and was like "yea the sensor tripped,but the phone looks fine" and swapped them for me.
bonvits13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:28 PM   #13
skier8689
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to skier8689
Quote:

This worked for me. Thank you!
skier8689 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 06:10 PM   #14
erichess22
macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me before, it is a bug where your iphone things that headphones are still plugged in. The only way to fix it for me was to restart phone or to plug in headphones and take them out.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 03:39 AM   #15
Bako-MacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

"You have to put your mouth on the headphone jack and suck.. You can't blow on it, you have to suck for it to work."

Yep, that's what she said ...
Old May 22, 2013, 08:59 AM   #16
Dmurph
macrumors newbie

I tried sucking in on the headphone jack but that didn't work at first. Then I tried blowing on the bottom speakers and into the iPhone dock and it turns out they were somewhat dirty and may have accumulated some misty precipitation. Everything works fine now.
Dmurph is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:59 PM   #17
edddreeb
macrumors newbie

Smile

Dmurph, Thank you a thousand times. I tried EVERYTHING on EVERY forum, and finally found yours. I also blew on the dock and speaker openings. I'm not sure which one worked, but the sound is working again!
edddreeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 02:56 PM   #18
CR33P3RF1ST
macrumors newbie

FINALLY! it works! tried sucking, NOPE. Then all the other things like assistive touch and all that, NOPE. Then i saw the blowing one. worked!
CR33P3RF1ST is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone