Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 12, 2014, 04:39 PM   #101
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky-Mac View Post
"certified asshat" as suggested by Technarchy is a pretty good description of the guy.......maybe a fuller description would be "showboating certified asshat" as he certainly seems to have positioned himself to draw as much attention as possible.......who was filming him anyway? His buddy? He certainly made sure he was easy to be photographed

Anyway, it's already known who he is since he made a point of identifying himself.....do you doubt that the FBI is checking up on him to see what's what and who's he's doing it with? Most likely they'll follow him around for awhile to see what trouble he's planning.

Is the evidence damning? Is there anything beyond some photos of an asshat putting on a show for those on the bridge who could see him after he ducked down behind the barrier? If that's all there is, I dunno if that's enough, especially if none of the LEO saw the gun pointed at themselves
You point a show a picture of someone pointing a rifle at a deputy in this county and he's going to have a lot of company, damn quick. That photo is better than an LEO seeing it with his/her own eyes.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 04:51 PM   #102
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
You point a show a picture of someone pointing a rifle at a deputy in this county ...
... standing 100 yards away in a crowd of people.

We haven't established that he's actually aiming at "the deputy".

All we know is he's aiming in the direction of the crowd.

What crime is the deputy arresting him for?
citizenzen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 04:54 PM   #103
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post

Little story.

My old next door neighbor liked to lay in the field next to my house and "target practice". He pointed the rifle uphill over his father-in law's house.

I called the cops and he was warned if he pointed his gun in the direction of people in general again he would be arrested for endangering the public.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:38 PM   #104
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

They'd let a jury determine that after a stay in the county detention facility awaiting that trial.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 06:24 PM   #105
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
They'd let a jury determine that after a stay in the county detention facility awaiting that trial.
People don't go to trial before first being charged.

What are you charging the person with?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I called the cops and he was warned if he pointed his gun in the direction of people in general again he would be arrested for endangering the public.
That's an excellent description of the crime.

As to why the feds haven't arrested him ...

Under the circumstances it's not that urgent of a crime to "make a case over". There's a bigger picture, of which this crime is a small piece. I would imagine (and it would be foolish to believe otherwise) that the feds are cooking up a multifaceted strategy for Bundy, and I'm sure that some iterations of that plan include going after people like our shooter.
citizenzen is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 06:34 PM   #106
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
People don't go to trial before first being charged.

What are you charging the person with?

----------

That's an excellent description of the crime.

As to why the feds haven't arrested him ...

Under the circumstances it's not that urgent of a crime to "make a case over". There's a bigger picture, of which this crime is a small piece. I would imagine (and it would be foolish to believe otherwise) that the feds are cooking up a multifaceted strategy for Bundy, and I'm sure that some iterations of that plan include going after people like our shooter.
Hold on, are you saying that you believe that it isn't illegal to point a firearm at an LEO? I'm pretty sure we've got a couple state laws on the books that would cover it.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 06:39 PM   #107
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Hold on, are you saying that you believe that it isn't illegal to point a firearm at an LEO? I'm pretty sure we've got a couple state laws on the books that would cover it.
Did I not express my thoughts on this question clearly enough in the second part of post #105?

If not, I will clarify it for you.
citizenzen is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 09:30 PM   #108
Sydde
macrumors 68000

It cannot get any better
Quote:
On his Wednesday Internet show, Adam Kokesh blasted the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) for noting that Jerad and Amanda Miller had been inspired by his gun activism.

“You’re not going to get away with it this time USA Today and SPLC,” Kokesh insisted, arguing that the shooters had acted because “authority has become a homicidal institution against freedom.”

Kokesh asserted that the slaying of the two officers was not “murder” because police are likely to kill people.

“Think of how many lives might have been saved by this incident. How many people would these cops have killed had they not been killed?” he asked....
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:19 PM   #109
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
It cannot get any better

the internet sure makes it possible for us to be exposed to all sorts of......all sorts of "inclived" stuff
Macky-Mac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:56 PM   #110
iBlazed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It cannot get any better

It's scary these people aren't even attempting to cover up their extremism anymore.
iBlazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:04 PM   #111
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlazed View Post
It's scary these people aren't even attempting to cover up their extremism anymore.
even scarier is that people will blindly believe that sort of thing.......hey, they can't put it on the internet if it isn't true.......right?
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:56 AM   #112
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlazed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky-Mac View Post
even scarier is that people will blindly believe that sort of thing.......hey, they can't put it on the internet if it isn't true.......right?
I ran across an interesting article a couple weeks back that addresses this somewhat. It backs up my opinion that the internet has made it considerably easier for crazy to connect with crazy, and acts as an echo chamber for their crazy ideas, strengthening them, and spreading them out and about until even normal, intelligent people who wouldn't otherwise care end up getting sucked into them. Combine this with the culture of fear we've been cultivating over the years since 2001, and you'll end up an incredibly potent mix of very bad things.

The Plots To Destroy America.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:49 PM   #113
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
I dunno why I'm bothering with this, because it's such a small distinction that doesn't matter in the least. But it's one of those little things bugs me for reasons entirely beyond me (an obsessive, anal retentive attention to pointless details would be the best guess), so I'm gonna comment on it...

You made a mistake with the angle of the gun. You ran parallel from his head along the pixels in the picture, rather than taking the angle of his head, the stock, distortion from the shot, and the relative position of the way he's sitting into account.

He's aiming towards the center of the crowd, not off to the right.

...yeah, I put way too much thought into this. I mean it's a few scant degrees, but damnit, it looked weird to me!
Drawing line of sight like that doesn't work, especially with 7.62x39. We don't know his zero.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:01 PM   #114
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Drawing line of sight like that doesn't work, especially with 7.62x39. We don't know his zero.
Doesn't work to what degree?

Do you think there's any indication that he is not aiming somewhere within that crowd of people?

If you see otherwise, please lend us your perspective.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:07 PM   #115
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Doesn't work to what degree?

Do you think there's any indication that he is not aiming somewhere within that crowd of people?

If you see otherwise, please lend us your perspective.
How do you know his zero is not the crowd? Outside of MS Paint and crayola forensics...
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:16 PM   #116
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
How do you know his zero is not the crowd? Outside of MS Paint and crayola forensics...
There's only so much info you can gleam from a single two dimensional shot. You are right that we can't tell exactly who or what he's aiming at. For all we know, he could be zeroing in on a completely harmless shrub, or aiming over their heads.

...but it's completely obvious he was aiming in the general direction of the mass of people below the bridge. It's not damning evidence, but it's certainly suspicious.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:23 PM   #117
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The lines drawn by both citizenzen and Renzatic end in the midst of the crowd. The Feds are in shadow, on the far side of the overpass.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:26 PM   #118
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post

...but it's completely obvious he was aiming in the general direction of the mass of people below the bridge. It's not damning evidence, but it's certainly suspicious.
Can't disagree with that. It's poor weapon handling either way. That barrel has no business being in the direction of any human without a REALLY good reason.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:27 PM   #119
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
How do you know his zero is not the crowd?
What's a "zero"?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:31 PM   #120
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
The lines drawn by both citizenzen and Renzatic end in the midst of the crowd. The Feds are in shadow, on the far side of the overpass.
You could draw that line out all the way to the horizon if you wanted to. Depending on his vantage point, which we can't see from that one shot, he could either be blocked by the crowd just below the bridge, or have a good amount of clearance above their head to the group beyond.

Or hell, he could be aiming at the outlying crowd nearest his position for all we know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen
What's a "zero"?
The center point of the crosshairs, basically what you're aiming at.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:33 PM   #121
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
What's a "zero"?
It's the point of impact/point of aim basically.

With a rifle, you "zero" it so when you aim and shoot you know where the bullet is going to hit.

A lot goes into this. Like bullet weight, velocity, barrel twist, wind etc etc.

So for example if you are standing at 150 meters, and I aim directly at your chest, the bullet could easily go flying over your head based upon zero and hit a target accurately another 200 meters behind you.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:39 PM   #122
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Thanks for answering what "zero" mean.

Quote:
How do you know his zero is not the crowd?
I've been saying this whole time that his zero is somewhere in the crowd.

We seem to agree here.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:53 PM   #123
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
I've been saying this whole time that his zero is somewhere in the crowd.

We seem to agree here.
It could be, and very likely is, but that can't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

But even if we could, I don't think we should arrest him from this one incident. The whole Bundy Ranch situation is a PR game between the US Government, and a bunch of paranoid nutcases. Like I said before, it'd be better to wait for these self-stylized revolutionaries to screw up severely, and have the law come in to save the day, than it would be for the government to act as the heavy, and arrest everyone involved.

They're out there playing as David vs. Goliath. The last thing the government wants to do in this situation is prove them right, at least superficially, by acting as Goliath.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 02:29 PM   #124
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats View Post
It is clear that three dimensional visualization is not SLC's strong suit.

SLC, maybe steer away from stereoscopic and laproscopic surgical specialities. Maybe all of surgery. And radiology.

Not trying to offend, just offering reasonable advice based on your demonstration.
Three dimensional visualization?

It's a 2D image. Which is a big part of why nobody can say with any sort if certainty that the man had his gun trained on anyone in the crowd.

And as for the suggestions for my career choice, I'll take that under advisement. But surgery has been my best clinical grade so far, if you were wondering.

I think I'll likely go into OBGyn though; there's some laparoscopic surgery there!
SLC Flyfishing is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues