Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
for those working with afp and smb in enterprise, what is your experience?
what is better utilized in a mixed environment?
really looking for pitfalls of using smb as a primary on apple systems.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Samba (SMB) works fine on Macs. Connecting to AD-authenticated shares isn't too difficult, either. Depending on how your configuration is, you might have to do some mucking around with WINS servers, or just use IP addresses. Other than that and having to enter your AD credentials all the time, it works fine.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
... might have to do some mucking around with WINS servers, or just use IP addresses. Other than that and having to enter your AD credentials all the time, it works fine.

This has been my experience as the only Mac user at my company. IT was not overly enthused when they heard I bought an Apple rig but as long as I support myself, they don't cause a stink.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
As other posters have mentioned, SMB on Mac can be a bit flaky, but it DOES work.

What I've found is that OS X Keychain won't remember your AD credentials — I think the backslash after the domain throws it off — but that's a minor annoyance.

cbott

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
Michigan
We are a mostly Windows shop and have been running SMB exclusively until now. Macs will WORK with SMB but we've found that they are very slow to show what's contained in the folders on the network. Transfer speeds seem fine. You have to enter in AD credentials all the time. My biggest complaint is that they aren't indexed by the Mac so searching for files is a lot harder.

Our AFP share just went live for certain Mac users. I haven't used it myself yet but have received reports that folders display much faster and they are being indexed by Spotlight so users can search to find what they are looking for.

Again, I haven't tested them myself so I'm just passing on what I've been told by our users who are on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.