Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Hey guys, I am looking for an app that shows the number anyone that is currently calling me dialed....The reason is my phone is assigned 2 numbers, one is for personal use and the other is for business. I'd like to know which number the current person calling me dialed. Prefferably it would work without wifi/3g connectivity, but if it needs either of those, that is fine too.

Does anyone know if such an app exists? :confused:

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
FYI I was not able to find anything like this available anywhere so I don't believe it currently exists :(

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Hey guys, I am looking for an app that shows the number anyone that is currently calling me dialed....The reason is my phone is assigned 2 numbers, one is for personal use and the other is for business.

Unfortunately, there's no app that can do that because it's not something that an app CAN do. The feature you're asking for is called DNIS and it's a service that must be provided by your carrier. Most cell companies don't offer it. It's something landline and VoIP companies provide for PBXes and large installations.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Unfortunately, there's no app that can do that because it's not something that an app CAN do. The feature you're asking for is called DNIS and it's a service that must be provided by your carrier. Most cell companies don't offer it. It's something landline and VoIP companies provide for PBXes and large installations.

Wow, thank you so much! Exactly what I was looking for....I knew it would have to be based on the underlying telephony technology but I didn't know the name....With it, I can now atleast contact my provider and ask if its something they offer :D Thanks again!

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
No prob. Which carrier are you with?

Virgin Mobile in Canada who are a reseller of Bell...Would you have any idea if they offer it as an addon?

In fact, is it common at all for any wireless cell provider to offer or even possible? After going a bit of research, it is mainly something that applies to landlines and VOIP appearently :(

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Virgin Mobile in Canada who are a reseller of Bell...Would you have any idea if they offer it as an addon?/
I highly doubt Virgin Mobile would offer it, if any cell carrier even does. Virgin is pretty much going after the budget and prepaid markets.

In fact, is it common at all for any wireless cell provider to offer or even possible? After going a bit of research, it is mainly something that applies to landlines and VOIP appearently :(

Pretty much.

You may want to look at getting a VoIP line that offers an iPhone app. Chances are, you'll get some distinction that way as to who called what number.

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
I've used OpenVBX and Twilio in the past, and assigned my Twilio number to show when it's calling me. The only downfall with this is that you can't see who the caller is! I highly recommend the service though, it sounds like exactly what you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.