Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:11 PM   #51
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
Remember they see these as security breaches....
Yup. Instead of seeing them as the only thing that keeps power users / geeks with iOS.

For example, something like f.lux would be essential for bed-time reading so that one can actually sleep after using his / her iPad. Needless to say, f.lux can only be used on a jailbroken device. Apple? Nothing, they don't seem to bother.

Not being able to jailbreak will result in iOS geeks moving to other, much more user-friendly platforms like Windows or Android.
Menneisyys2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:15 PM   #52
td1439
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Not being able to jailbreak will result in iOS geeks moving to other, much more user-friendly platforms like Windows or Android.
This is true, but...if you look at most of Apple's products, I doubt they care much about the more advanced user. Apple's products are about looking nice and working without a lot of fuss or tinkering.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:32 PM   #53
F123D
macrumors 68040

We're four months in with the iphone 5. Beta for iOS 7 is probably 5 months away. Apples only going to make things even more secure and difficult. Jailbreaking isn't dead but fading is pretty accurate.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1439 View Post
This is true, but...if you look at most of Apple's products, I doubt they care much about the more advanced user.
Sucks apple doesn't care about advanced users..
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:16 PM   #54
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

So far I wouldn't say it's fading. The hackers tweet about the same progress that they had for the 4S this time, and I'm assuming they're waiting for 6.1 before they finish polishing it. Trivial delays, not going to stop the jb.
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:18 PM   #55
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

I'm glad installous is gone, piracy is the reason jailbreaking has such a bad name, maybe apple will lighten up on its extreme security measures from this point onward.
Redjericho is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:42 PM   #56
DP812
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLife View Post
Curious as what you did to not use your home button so much? My home button on my 4 is going out and it's driving me nuts. And don't really feel like paying to get it fixed just to have it break again. I'm at work so I can't really do any googling right now but I would be grateful if someone could hook me up with some info about that here

Thanks
Just saw this, sorry for being late.

I jailbroke my pre-iOS6 iPhone 4 and there's an app on Cydia (blanking on the name, maybe Activator? App Switcher?) that allows you to use finger swipes for switching between apps and bringing up the home screen.

If you don't want to jailbreak, there are two things that worked for me. One was enable Assistive Touch under Accessibility. This puts a digital home button on the screen, but it can get annoying to deal with.

I was able to get my home button working after upgrading to 6 by putting some rubbing alcohol on it then holding the button down with the eraser end of a pencil for a few moments. No problems since.
DP812 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:25 PM   #57
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Yep, it sure is fading away
Applejuiced is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:47 PM   #58
Zac7
macrumors 6502a

Where is the op now?

Disappears when he is proven wrong.
Zac7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:52 PM   #59
iMichael!
Banned

Jailbreaking is far from "fading away".

The new update coming in February will cause hype.
iMichael! is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:03 AM   #60
jtp098
macrumors 6502a

haha =. Was gunna add my two cents but yea.

PS. I have spend more $$$ for cydia apps then iTunes.. how is that pirating... I'm not plundering anyones commission.. argh

I'll counter that to say apples. But not everyone can sell in the app store.

Oh and ai jailbreak for the features too...
jtp098 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:02 AM   #61
Surrylic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
I 100% agree with your first paragraph and 100% disagree with your last sentence.

Apple moves at a glacial speed, it's just that iOS is to the point where it's nearly impossible to JB and the devs can brag all day long about how they have a working untethered JB but they're just 'holding on to it' for this reason or that. Personally, I call BS.

About the time they finally release a JB (if ever) iOS7 will be on it's heels and no one is going to want to stay on a year old OS just because it's finally jailbroke.

The JB scene is dead. RIP.
You called that one
Surrylic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:50 AM   #62
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrylic View Post
You called that one
LOL, I'm glad to be proven wrong. I'm really surprised. These guys came out of the woodwork at the last minute. Good times ahead.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks