Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I have an old 20" SDTV that I was going to put an Apple TV on so I can stream my ripped DVD's to, but since it only has a Composite video, I have not found a cost effective solution. I do not plan on buying a new TV since it only is used with DVD's when my wife does her school work. I guess I will look for a cheap old :apple:TV.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I just bought the new Apple TV, but I dont have an HDMI port on my TV. I do have a DVI with 2 audio Jacks, Component, Composite video jacks.

What are my options?

Not much. The video is easy to convert, but the audio is another story. Your best bet would be to find a cheap audio receiver with optical inputs, and connect the audio up that way. Many will then have analog audio outputs that you can use.

TEG

scottt

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
The new Apple TV is shipping and you really, really want one. You think this is perfect for your old television, but then you realize you don’t have an HDMI or component input. But you really, really want one.

stevenb

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
I will let you know if mine works in a few days...

I just bought an Apple TV2 and just waiting for one cable to arrive. I have an old Sony CRT 36XBR800 and no HDMI, but it does have a DVI and component audio connections (red and white RCA). I got an HDMI to DVI cable and an optical digital audio cable. They have converters on Amazon that will convert the optical audio to component red and white RCA. That is how I am going to hook-up and then stream. My TV said it is HDCP compatible, so we will see. It was made in 2002-2003. It has a max resolution of 1080i and is 4:3, not 1080p and 16x9. I am not too sure what resolution I am going to get. Some people have said only 480p and black bars on all four sides. Some say 720p and only upper and lower black bars. If I get 720p, I will end up with about a 33 inch 16x9 picture, which I am ok with at this time. Total cost for the Apple TV, cables and audio converter was a little less that $200.00. If this does not work the way I want, I am going with a new TV, Sony KDL55NX810, as the picture is beautiful. They were down to $2,399.00 on Amazon with no sales tax and free shipping. I have heard good things about the Panasonic VT25, but not too sure about going plasma instead of LCD/LED. I will update in a week or so.

yankintx

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2010
Let me make sure I am understanding this... If my non-high definition TV has component connections, then :apple:tv will work? Also, assuming now it does work, does it have the normal "black bars" at the top and bottom of the screen when showing wide-screen media?

I love the concept of the :apple:tv, but haven't found the need (or real desire) to get an HDTV--my Samsung square-screen is still doing just fine for my needs. I would love to get one, but haven't because all this time I thought it required an HDTV to work. Please tell me I am ignorant and I should go get one right now!

I did not see the need either....until the cable guy who was at my home hooked up a hd box during a football game. That green blur of a field is now individual blades of grass. I watch no non hd channels now.

Spinjack

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2011
So, do we have a solution for the new ATV (only an HDMI output)?

I tried to use a Composite Scaler from Gefen with no success. A call to Gefen's tech support informed me that most scalers will not pass HDCP signals, which the ATV most likely uses. A/V Receivers will upscale to HDMI but don't downscale.

This has to be a problem for a very large number of people. Is there even a solution out there?

Edit: Just got off the phone with Apple Tech support. Apple offers no solution.

Last edited:

FreedomHD

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2011
I have both ATV1 and ATV2, i finally ended up buying HDfury to give a new life to my Mits 65 in RPTV and it works flawlessfully, no more HDCP issue at all and excellent picture quality.

RobertGlotzbach

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
Of course they are compatible with the Red/White/Yellow...
all you need to about $10 of HDMI/DVI adapters from ebay.
with the procedure described here: http://www.appletvhacks.net/2007/10/12/get-color-output-from-apple-tvs-composite-video-output/

I've been using my AppleTV (2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.1) since January using this.
Works perfect. Only downside, everytime it reboots you need to do the 10sec procedure.

Sorry to resurrect this very old tread, but I have a question related to the well known hack.
I tried to hook up my sony trinitron, it gives a black and white image for just a few seconds (Apple logo) then it seems to be cut off. Does this sound familiar to any one, not sure if its the apple tv1 or my sony tv?

Thanks for helping.
Kind regards, Robert

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.