Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exodist

macrumors member
Original poster
Hey Everyone,
I bought my Late 2012 Mac Mini while living in the US and didnt have any grounding issues with it. Now we moved to the Philippines and I have grounding issues. I would completely understand lack of grounding to a plug that has no ground or one thats not hooked up. But we all know the Mac Minis only have a 2 prong connector and no grounding wire. So why is it giving me issues now? I know the apartment has only a 2 wire 230v 60Hz system. But our MBA doesn't have the grounding issue.

Here is what it does, touch/rub your fingers on the MM and you get a vibrating feeling. Touch the metal on the USB cable or any metal part of any thing those cables are plugged into and get the **** knocked out of you.

I am building a house and having modern grounding wire added to my office, entertainment center and kitchen. But still baffles me why my MM still has this issues unless something in the apartment is back feeding into it.

Any ideas are appreciated..

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hey Everyone,
I bought my Late 2012 Mac Mini while living in the US and didnt have any grounding issues with it. Now we moved to the Philippines and I have grounding issues. I would completely understand lack of grounding to a plug that has no ground or one thats not hooked up. But we all know the Mac Minis only have a 2 prong connector and no grounding wire. So why is it giving me issues now? I know the apartment has only a 2 wire 230v 60Hz system. But our MBA doesn't have the grounding issue.

Here is what it does, touch/rub your fingers on the MM and you get a vibrating feeling. Touch the metal on the USB cable or any metal part of any thing those cables are plugged into and get the **** knocked out of you.

I am building a house and having modern grounding wire added to my office, entertainment center and kitchen. But still baffles me why my MM still has this issues unless something in the apartment is back feeding into it.

Any ideas are appreciated..

This reminds me of an old joke.... Man walks into a Doctor's office and says "Doc, it hurts when I do this" *puts both hands straight up in the air* and the doctor responds with "So don't do that!"....

So you are running your hands all over your Mac Mini, why?

As far as a solution... Do a search on google for Macbook Pro Electrical Charge. This has been a problem for years on the aluminum casings for Macbook Pros. There are lots of "solutions" out there. No one complains about the Mini because there really isn't a reason to touch the Mini unlike a laptop....

Exodist

macrumors member
Original poster
So you are running your hands all over your Mac Mini, why?
I am not giving the Mini a massage if thats what your thinking. I am referring to touching it, like when turning it on or plugging up a device. Even more do the USB cables. For example the buttons on my DSLR camera are metal, if I go to turn it on after plugging up the USB cable to transfer pics, I get shocked..

As far as a solution... Do a search on google for Macbook Pro Electrical Charge. This has been a problem for years on the aluminum casings for Macbook Pros. There are lots of "solutions" out there. No one complains about the Mini because there really isn't a reason to touch the Mini unlike a laptop....
I did see a few complaints about the mini, but no solutions. I will lookup the MBP solution as you suggested.

Thank you. Joe

Exodist

macrumors member
Original poster
Found the problem. The Neutral gets grounded on 2 wire systems like used here in the Philippines. Well it is unless someone steals the grounding wire off the meter. :(

So SOLVED... No proper grounding on the neutral.. I suspect this may be the case on most the MBP and Mac Mini grounding issues..

Zwopple

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2008
Exodist I'm experiencing the same here in New Zealand but there is grounds and sorts here in NZ.

My MBP for instance is fine when using the full cable with 3 prongs where as it has the "tingle shock" when using just the two prongs.

Unfortunately the Mac Mini doesn't even have a ground pin built in which is pretty concerning. Here in NZ I have a Mac Mini that is leaking DC Voltage to the case which other Mac Minis are not experiencing.

-Robert

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.