Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Hi guys,

So this topic has had a few threads that I can remember but I was wondering if I could ask a different question on it.

I did my first paid event where I didn't know the client and I reached a moral issue when it came to editing the shots.

If they were for my own pleasure I would spend all the time that I wanted on them to make them just how I want. However, in this case the photo's weren't for me or my friends but for people that I didn't know so I had to find the line between making them looking good/better without spending a ridiculous amount of time that would render the whole exercise unprofitable.

Below are 7 images with before and afters. I wonder if I could get some critique on what you think of the images in general (in terms of capturing the event) and also whether you think the edits are worthwhile.

I delivered over 250 pictures to the client and therefore only really wanted to spend 30-secs to a minute on each one.

Knowing the audience I know that I had to make the photos have a summery feel (even though the weather wasn't quite on my side) whilst also feeling contemporary and fresh as it was a 21st party.

What do you think?

phu5w1Hh.jpg

sp1OwkQh.jpg

xRNHQbeh.jpg

DDe6yOHh.jpg

CRaBI9fh.jpg

yXnXPE9h.jpg

0eAg9qGh.jpg

VQelm1fh.jpg

5uYDWD1h.jpg

aSCfPH7h.jpg

lgxDBvyh.jpg

9zdxsoUh.jpg

keyJ1Dih.jpg

nCBilZuh.jpg

Or for those who prefer to be able to flick back and forward through an album, here is the link for that.

Cheers!

Last edited:

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Just for my own understanding, the "after" shots are the result of you spending about 30 seconds to a minute on editing, right?

Anyway, to my eye, the "after" shots look great! It seems like it was a fun event, and the photo edits reflect that. Great work!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Just for my own understanding, the "after" shots are the result of you spending about 30 seconds to a minute on editing, right?

Anyway, to my eye, the "after" shots look great! It seems like it was a fun event, and the photo edits reflect that. Great work!

Thanks for the compliment.

I try to spend less than a minute on each photo. Some are longer some are shorter but it averages out at less than a minute.

Since they are for web or 4x6” prints I don’t really worry about digital noise and sharpening is set at 40 which works nicely for me.

I focus on exposure, crop, white balance and subjects in that order. I tend to get an exposure adjustment brush and add 1/3rd of a stop to everyones faces to make them pop a little more.

If I am feeling really nice I will add in a little spot healing which can be seen on the shot of the three girls.

Lightroom is very good for quickly getting through shots.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thanks for the compliment.

I try to spend less than a minute on each photo. Some are longer some are shorter but it averages out at less than a minute.

Since they are for web or 4x6” prints I don’t really worry about digital noise and sharpening is set at 40 which works nicely for me.

I focus on exposure, crop, white balance and subjects in that order. I tend to get an exposure adjustment brush and add 1/3rd of a stop to everyones faces to make them pop a little more. ...

I do the same thing, only I tent to crop first. Sometimes the crop changes the histogram (if say I crop out a large part of the sky) and I like to look at the histogram to judge exposure. But otherwise I think most people do what you do. I would only spend loads of time of an image if it were a portrait where to final product is just a very few selects.

This is EXACTLY the reason both Lightroom and Aperture were invented. Most people want to spend about one minute or less on each photo with just simple things like crop white balance and so on.

It is very rarely that I'd want to use photoshop. Only if I need to make masks and use layers, perhaps so that I could use different white balance on the flash and ambient light or if the depth of field is to large and I need to blur the background or maybe there is an ugly utility pole or wire in the shot or to whiten teeth. 99% of the time the images just need minor work that takes a minute or less.

One question. On those indoors shots where there looks like motion blur in the background and short subjects. Did you rotate the camera with a longish shutter speed and then use flash. Sure looks like it.

I think you did a great lob of catching the mood of the event.

Last edited:

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Good job acearchie. These have a very pleasant pop to them. If I were your client I'd be happy.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
One question. On those indoors shots where there looks like motion blur in the background and short subjects. Did you rotate the camera with a longish shutter speed and then use flash. Sure looks like it.

I think you did a great lob of catching the mood of the event.

Thanks for the comments.

Yes I do exactly that. I have got it to a point where I can quickly dial in the settings as the conditions change if I know it’s going to work and now my ‘hit’ rate is pretty good even when dragging the shutter!

Good job acearchie. These have a very pleasant pop to them. If I were your client I'd be happy.

Cheers! This thread has done wonders for my confidence!

filmbufs

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Oklahoma
I think you did an excellent job. My only question is how come my friends are never as cute as yours? Heck, even your clients are pretty. Hrumph.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.