Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:47 PM   #376
Dave.UK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplix View Post
Does google actually come up with any of it's own ideas for products or is it copy/paste on a endless macro?
What do you propose Google has copied?
Dave.UK is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:27 PM   #377
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.UK View Post
What do you propose Google has copied?
Check the topic of this thread.
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:54 PM   #378
Dave.UK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Check the topic of this thread.
Ive read the thread title, but my question still stands, what do you propose google has copied?
Dave.UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:57 PM   #379
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Ive read the thread title, but my question still stands, what do you propose google has copied?
I don't give a **** who's copied who. Google play is simply not good enough. Yet
Confuzzzed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:18 PM   #380
Dave.UK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzed View Post
I don't give a **** who's copied who. Google play is simply not good enough. Yet
For you maybe.

Ive got 12,000 tracks uploaded to Google Music. All matched perfectly with artwork showing. No issues at all.

Each to their own though.
Dave.UK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:30 PM   #381
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
For you maybe.

Ive got 12,000 tracks uploaded to Google Music. All matched perfectly with artwork showing. No issues at all.

Each to their own though.
Must admit that i'm of the same opinion, was streaming music this afternoon, all worked perfectly.

I also have a large amount matched with artwork showing.
daveathall is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:41 PM   #382
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Must admit that i'm of the same opinion, was streaming music this afternoon, all worked perfectly.

I also have a large amount matched with artwork showing.
About 50% matched and nothing special about my music collection. Mainly ripped CDs, no special formats. Of those that were matched, probably around 60% have artwork. Also UI fairly crude in my opinion.
Confuzzzed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:13 PM   #383
sebseb81
macrumors member

I have Google Music Manager installed, but it doesn't appear to be doing any matching, only uploading. Any ideas how to get this working?

Thanks.
sebseb81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:17 PM   #384
latestmonkey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebseb81 View Post
I have Google Music Manager installed, but it doesn't appear to be doing any matching, only uploading. Any ideas how to get this working?

Thanks.
I thought this at first as well but if you notice, the number of songs that gets "uploaded" is much faster than your upload speed. Those are the ones getting matched.
latestmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:24 PM   #385
Morshu9001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
Bandwidth is progressively getting *much* cheaper.
No! To get more bandwidth, the networks have to expand. That involves laying more fiber optics. It can only happen in bursts. Also, as more people use bandwidth, it becomes more scarce. As more people use flash storage, it's just mass-produced more.
Morshu9001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:55 PM   #386
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morshu9001 View Post
No! To get more bandwidth, the networks have to expand. That involves laying more fiber optics. It can only happen in bursts. Also, as more people use bandwidth, it becomes more scarce.
It is cheaper nowadays, by quite a bit, Though the more people require it, the more the telcos need to up their game and lay more fiber.

...but that's a cost that's recouped fairly quickly.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:00 PM   #387
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morshu9001 View Post
No! To get more bandwidth, the networks have to expand. That involves laying more fiber optics. It can only happen in bursts. Also, as more people use bandwidth, it becomes more scarce. As more people use flash storage, it's just mass-produced more.
We aren't even nearly using the full capacity on the major intercontinental fibre links that already exist and fibre technology is becoming cheaper and cheaper. I've got a map of the worlds major links somewhere (unfortunately I can't find it right now) and it shows that only somewhere between 1/3 - 1/2 of the physical fibres in these links have been provisioned (i.e "lit").

When the telcos lay fibre they typically massively over-deploy and most of the costs aren't for the fibre itself, but for getting it in the ground/under the ocean.

I work in the webhosting industry and I know for a fact that bandwidth prices have dramatically decreased in the last few years. The price we pay per Mbit is about 1/5 what it was 5 years ago.

This price decrease is partly offset by the greater bandwidth requirements due to things like smartphones etc and the bandwidth requirements of streaming video.

What has increased recently (at least in my area of the world), is colocation costs in datacentres.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
It is cheaper nowadays, by quite a bit
^ This.
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:19 PM   #388
Morshu9001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
It is cheaper nowadays, by quite a bit, Though the more people require it, the more the telcos need to up their game and lay more fiber.

...but that's a cost that's recouped fairly quickly.
It is cheaper, but storage is getting cheaper extremely quickly.
Morshu9001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion