Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:43 PM   #26
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
Umm, all I see you doing in that post is stereotyping a potential user's desires to either the iPad or an iPad mini based on your own prescribed desires. For example, what if someone wanted a smaller framed iPad but didn't care about its weight. Would that scenario exist in your world? Or is that not allowed? Again, just like me (as you point out), you are forcing your own views on others.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:57 PM   #27
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
Umm, all I see you doing in that post is stereotyping a potential user's desires to either the iPad or an iPad mini based on your own prescribed desires. For example, what if someone wanted a smaller framed iPad but didn't care about its weight. Would that scenario exist in your world? Or is that not allowed? Again, just like me (as you point out), you are forcing your own views on others.
Fair point.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:13 PM   #28
nyli2
macrumors newbie

Sorry im calling BS on every post about why it isnt retina. There is NO reason the screen could not have been better looking when plenty of other companies have great screens.
nyli2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:39 PM   #29
Goratrix
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyli2 View Post
Sorry im calling BS on every post about why it isnt retina. There is NO reason the screen could not have been better looking when plenty of other companies have great screens.
Those other companies are not constrained by software compatibility like Apple is. If the Mini were an Android device, it could have a 1280x960 resolution at 4:3 easily. But with iOS, the only larger resolution possible is 2048x1536, which puts a big strain on the gpu and battery.
Goratrix is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:56 PM   #30
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Another of "these" threads (sigh)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:50 PM   #31
slffl
macrumors 65816

Retina requires more power and also a faster processor which also requires more power. This would make it heavier and thicker, therefore not making it an iPad mini!

If the iPad Mini retina comes out and it is heavier and/or thicker than the iPad Mini (ala iPad2 vs Ipad3) I will be getting the iPad Mini NON RENTINA!

I value the size and weight over a higher resolution display.

----------

Quote:
How heavy and thick are those 'other companies' products? Oh that's right, you don't know because the anti-apple blogs never post those specs.

Give me ONE competing product that has a higher density display and is the same weight and thickness.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:39 PM   #32
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
NO reason? What you mean is that there is no reason you agree with that the screen is the way it is, but there are plenty of practical reasons that the screen is the way it is.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see a mini with an improved screen, but I think Apple did the exact perfect thing with the mini by optimising and maximising its one big and defining feature: form factor. The mini is now defined by thin, lightweight with great battery life. Retina (or any improved display) will always be constrained by those product attributes, otherwise the product will lose focus and not be a "mini" (as we know it) any longer. What this means is that when they do improve the display, they'll do so within the parameters of thin, lightweight and great battery life - what a great device that will be!

Personally, I'd rather it start from here and go there, rather than start from or end up at a position of fatter, heavier and thicker either today or tomorrow. The biggest most wonderful feature of this product is its form factor - Apple did it right, though some may not be happy with the decision they made, millions do agree it was the right decision (not the least of which are iOS developers, who changed nothing in their apps yet were able to sell them to the millions of new mini owners on day 1).
WilliamLondon is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:52 PM   #33
aarif2012
macrumors member

Because it will disappear in 6 months. LOL
aarif2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:08 PM   #34
nyli2
macrumors newbie

Seriously???? LOL oh well i guess they don't have the technology now But they just happen to have it 6 months later????? stop kidding yourselves

an IPHONE 4 had a retina display and when did that come out like 3 years ago?????
your telling me they could not have put a faster processor and better screen in the mini????
ALSO the screen size is what makes it the IPAD MINI not how thick it is. The 1st iPad Could of easily had the iPad 2 design they had the technology but didn't want to give it so people will ALWAYS buy in the next one.
So sop embarrassing yourselves and acting like the iPad mini is Some "Revolutionary product"

Last edited by nyli2; Dec 28, 2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:11 PM   #35
irDigital0l

Quote:
Seriously???? LOL oh well i guess they don't have the technology now But they just happen to have it 6 months later????? stop kidding yourselfs
You do realize Apple already has the next couple generations planned out/in progress?

By the time they released the iPad Mini...they already have a good idea on the 2nd generation, possibly the 3rd.

Also the tech is out there, Apple can choose to save it for the next generation though. Apple is never known to implement the newest tech first (ex. still doesn't support NFC and had LTE in 2012 instead of 2011).
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:15 PM   #36
nyli2
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
You do realize Apple already has the next couple generations planned out/in progress?

By the time they released the iPad Mini...they already have a good idea on the 2nd generation, possibly the 3rd.

Also the tech is out there, Apple can choose to save it for the next generation though. Apple is never known to implement the newest tech first (ex. still doesn't support NFC and had LTE in 2012 instead of 2011).
Exactly because apple likes to screw people over.. I got the iPad mini and plan on returning it because of how slow it is.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:28 PM   #37
TJ5921
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
NO reason? What you mean is that there is no reason you agree with that the screen is the way it is, but there are plenty of practical reasons that the screen is the way it is.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see a mini with an improved screen, but I think Apple did the exact perfect thing with the mini by optimising and maximising its one big and defining feature: form factor. The mini is now defined by thin, lightweight with great battery life. Retina (or any improved display) will always be constrained by those product attributes, otherwise the product will lose focus and not be a "mini" (as we know it) any longer. What this means is that when they do improve the display, they'll do so within the parameters of thin, lightweight and great battery life - what a great device that will be!

Personally, I'd rather it start from here and go there, rather than start from or end up at a position of fatter, heavier and thicker either today or tomorrow. The biggest most wonderful feature of this product is its form factor - Apple did it right, though some may not be happy with the decision they made, millions do agree it was the right decision (not the least of which are iOS developers, who changed nothing in their apps yet were able to sell them to the millions of new mini owners on day 1).
Amen.
TJ5921 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:32 PM   #38
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Exactly because apple likes to screw people over.. I got the iPad mini and plan on returning it because of how slow it is.
You're very angry over something as meaningless as a gadget. You should try meditating.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad