Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Aug 27, 2014, 07:40 PM   #51
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
You're missing my point, its not that they're about to release a larger phone, but rather they're following Samsung on design. They should be proactive in design and features.

Wireless charging, NFC larger form factors, better multitasking, these are all features already in place with competitors. Apple should be leading not following.
So you don't want to see any of those features in a new iPhone? And there's no possible way Apple could design and implement them better than their competitors? What could Apple do right now that you would consider leading?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 09:02 AM   #52
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
So you don't want to see any of those features in a new iPhone? And there's no possible way Apple could design and implement them better than their competitors? What could Apple do right now that you would consider leading?
My point is that apple is letting others innovate and then adds those features later.

As for doing it better, I don't think so - at least not consistently better. I think android's multitasking and notification system are superior to iOS'.

As for not wanting to see them, that really doesn't make sense, I'm talking about Apple playing it safe and adding them later. Of course I'd like to see iOS extended and improved.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 01:16 PM   #53
vpro
macrumors 6502a

It's like this exactly..

The big shiny red fruity company isn't losing it's way. It is losing touch with the fabric of realities. It doesn't care about the people, why should it?

You care so much because you are all sold on the beautiful feelings factor in which they heavily rely on in their adverts! They won over millions of impressionable romantics out there for shiny gadgets.

With this illusion trick mastered, they can sell you anything and they can leave huge amounts of things out, but once you notice, they'll sprinkle random stardust here and there in an update or two every 6 years like it is some huge impactful innovation, and we all go mad crazy ape poop over it!

As long as a lot of us continue to buy this junk in beautiful packaging - they keep producing what ever they like, it is all about them - please don't be delusional and think huge corporations "care" or "feel" they seriously do not, everything they do is only for their bottom line.

Do you care enough to say enough is enough?

To those who seem to think they need a few apple devices to do different tasks, I say - you are in way too deep over your heads. Since early 2006 I still do everything on a 17"MBP, I don't jump on it everywhere I go, so why should it do everything for me while I'm on a fast bumpy subway ride or on my bike or sitting at the park next to a mountain? I do everything I need to do in environments like school, cafe, studio, office...

If you need 2 or more apple devices working simultaneously to complete your tasks, there is a deeper problem to resolve I'm unemployable if I can't figure out the best most efficient way towards mass productivity on one device, if I have to multitask on several devices while still not meeting the bottom line, is seriously disturbing to me
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:23 PM   #54
katewes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
Yep yep.

Apple, even when Jobs was still around, made it clear that they only want to focus on a few good well-made well-designed products, rather than create and sell a slew of rush-job (mediocre) products (i.e. Samsung).

Apple doesn't want to be a jack of all trades company. It would rather be a Master of Few, rather than be Jack of All Products.
Offering an anti-glare option is not being "a jack of all trades". It basically says, we want our Macs to be works of art with shiny screens. And stuff everyone who can't cope with glare screens. Let's be clear. Offering an anti-glare screen would NOT turn Apple into a Jack of all trades.
katewes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:32 PM   #55
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
My point is that apple is letting others innovate and then adds those features later.
Isn't refining what others have already done the key's to Apple's success? iPod wasn't the first (or most versatile) MP3 player, iPhone wasn't the first smartphone, iPad wasn't the first tablet, MB Air wasn't the first ultralight, etc.,.
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #56
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe View Post
Isn't refining what others have already done the key's to Apple's success? iPod wasn't the first (or most versatile) MP3 player, iPhone wasn't the first smartphone, iPad wasn't the first tablet, MB Air wasn't the first ultralight, etc.,.
They weren't first to market but back then they were the ones adding disruptive innovation to conquer whatever market they entered.

Now they've sunk to sparse incremental innovation and in many cases, just playing catch up to competitors. They also haven't expanded into a new market under Cook, which is the real test. That iWatch reveal should say a lot. If they frame it as an accessory meant to get you to buy the iPhone 6, instead of as a separate market expansion, they're definitely going downhill. If they make people believe wearables are the future and include some disruptive tech competitors can't readily duplicate, they'll be fine.
Old Today, 05:16 AM   #57
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe View Post
You're right but they saw opportunities in those sectors that they could take advantage. Now with so many more competitors jumping into those opportunities, apple needs to move faster.

For instance, the wearables. Before there was basically only Nike, and a couple of other companies. Now everyone and their brother is rolling out a wearable product but apple has yet to produce one, even though rumors of such has been going on for 2+ years. At some point if they are producing a wearable product they have roll it out or give up on it.
Old Today, 06:58 AM   #58
tkermit
macrumors 68020

Quote:
everyone and their brother is rolling out a wearable product but apple has yet to produce one
Personally, I can't say that there are really any wearables on the market that I see attracting a larger yet discerning audience. Arguably MP3 players in comparison were actually more widespread when the iPod was released.
Old Today, 08:35 AM   #59
cyberlocke
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
They weren't first to market but back then they were the ones adding disruptive innovation to conquer whatever market they entered.

Now they've sunk to sparse incremental innovation and in many cases, just playing catch up to competitors. They also haven't expanded into a new market under Cook, which is the real test. That iWatch reveal should say a lot. If they frame it as an accessory meant to get you to buy the iPhone 6, instead of as a separate market expansion, they're definitely going downhill. If they make people believe wearables are the future and include some disruptive tech competitors can't readily duplicate, they'll be fine.

I'm very excited about the iWatch (or whatever the wearable is), but like you said, curious to know how standalone the product will be. However, more gadgets for the sake of more gadgets (I've personally been obsessed with simplicity lately, and something else to charge, lose, break, sync, etc. . . )

Anyway, I think this will be the test what they do with it. At the very least, it is the most locked-down new product Apple has had in a very long time (we have no prototypes, no parts, no feature list, nothing) and that alone will make next Tuesday very interesting indeed.
cyberlocke is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion