Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angus9541

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
I contemplated taking mine back after having for two days, but it hasn't really taken long to fall in love with its portability. This thing is so so portable, fits in my jacket pocket and I do not feel its weight. Yeah I miss retina going from my rMBP and iP5 but I now love this thing, it's staying! When and if a retina mini comes out ill defo upgrade but this device can't be knocked in my eyes!

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
last i used any of my tablets (nexus7, mini, ipad3, transformer) i didn't have them squashed up against my nose.
if you like it buy it, if not then don't
while your point does have validity please don't go around and tell me what i can like or dislike
thank you

Who said a thing about what you should buy? Secondly, the purpose of the close-up is to highlight the comparison.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Lol @ everybody who just bought a mini getting all defensive. But if it was another company's device with an inferior screen, would it still be so insignificant? People on this forum are hilarious.

+1

I'm as big an Apple fan as anyyone. Had every iPhone to date. Have a 27" iMac and an iPad 3. But let's be honest, the iPad mini's screen is lacking. I received my iPad mini via UPS and returned it. I couldn't get past the non retina screen. The small pixelated text (especially in portrait) was too much of a compromise for me. I've actually fell back in love with my iPad3 as I've taken the big beautiful retina screen for granted after viewing the web on the mini. Plus the color saturation is much better on the iPad3 than the mini.

I understand that the mini has a place for some people as its smaller and lighter than the iPad2/3 and 4 thus making it more mobile, but I never found my iPad3 to be bulky or to cumbersome to carry or travel with. I'll stick with my big, beautiful iPad3 and view the web an apps in all its glory. On another note, my iPad3 performs just fine with no slow down so I see no need for the iPad4.

Last edited:

yorkslad

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Apart from the trolls and haters, who cares. I've seen it in person up close and coming from an iPad3 I'd rather have a non retina display, more battery and less bulk and thats how 99% of people will roll. We'll get Retina one day but then you'll all find something else to gripe about ;)

Byeen

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
We've gotten by in life just fine with lower PPI displays up until now, I think I will be just fine with my iPad mini.
This was not serious, right ? Until now we were just fine with iPad, so why to buy iPad mini ?

I think this might be major problem for some customers, for example I wouldn't buy mini with such a display.

Even if it's much smaller display and pixels are not so visible, the eye which is just fine as you said with retina on iPhone would recognize it, and that's a big deal.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Even if it's much smaller display and pixels are not so visible, the eye which is just fine as you said with retina on iPhone would recognize it, and that's a big deal.

I have an iPad mini and my eyes are just fine when I switch from iPhone 5 to iPad mini, and vise-versa.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010

Ok ... Now help me out here. The top one seems to say "rubbish" but I can't make out the bottom one. It's just so pixelated. Completely unreadable. Especially when I use my magnifying glass on it like that.

I should be able to hold it within 3 micrometers of my eyeball and see no pixels at all otherwise the display is garbage.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
I noticed the display isn't as sharp either. However, the size and weight makes it more usable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.