Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have a Garmin GPS. Don't remember the exact model off hand, but it's a couple of years old. This is the second time I've noticed a message, that my map is 'over a year old, get update', and then my unit will not pick up a GPS signal. The first time, after I updated, it started working again. This time I have yet to update it. Fortunately my model included free updates, but it makes me wonder if this is a way for Garmin to get people to purchase new maps?? Just because my map is old, does not mean that my unit should not be able to pick up a GPS signal, should it?

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I've got a StreetPilot c320 with 2010 Map on it. I still picks up the satellites, but the map is completely off in some areas. After a year driving on streets that weren't on the map, I had to bite the bullet and get the map update. No free maps for me.:(

I'll buy a new unit once I start driving on roads that ain't on the map once more.:p Of course, free lifetime map update will be a must.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
On an older Garmin GPS, you can purchase a one time update for about $50 and a lifetime update for about $90. I went with the lifetime update although it might be more cost effective to get a new one for just a little more (the new ones come with a lifetime update).

As far as getting a GPS lock, I found that it can take awhile getting a lock if the GPS is not turned on near the location where it was previously turned off. I also have had issues if I'm moving while it's attempting to get a lock (works best if I have a lock before moving).

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I've got a Garmin GPS and it told me a few times that my maps are from 2008 (I guess you can tell its an old device) and that I should update it. Still working fine though, on the old maps.

On an older Garmin GPS, you can purchase a one time update for about $50 and a lifetime update for about $90. I went with the lifetime update although it might be more cost effective to get a new one for just a little more (the new ones come with a lifetime update).

This is also the debate I'm having - on whether I should update or not. Right now Amazon has a 5" Garmin with Lifetime updates for $127. Might spend a little more, $40, on a new device versus buying a lifetime update pack - but I'd get a whole bunch of features that I don't have now. Mainly the 5" screen.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Why not just get a mount for your phone? Google turn by turn is fantastic. I sold my Garmin years ago partially because of the map issues. For what you spend on one update you can get a nice mount, extra cable and charger for your phone. It's an especially great idea if your car has Bluetooth capabilities.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Attachments

• its-a-conspiracy.jpg
    its-a-conspiracy.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 69

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Got the Garmin and the TomTom app (full versions) for my iPhone. I prefer Garmin generally, so I added that app when it was released. Though I seem to like the TomTom better for iOS. Seems to be free updates often.

It's the way to go, don't need a second device. I don't even use the built in Honda Navigation anymore, I was only suckered into updating the maps DVD once with them.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I have a Garmin GPS V for work. The maps are from about 2001. There are all kinds of mistakes in the maps - and no, the roads haven't changed. No easy way to update it, but I have never had it tell me the maps are out of date.

I would get your work to buy you a new GPS unit with lifetime maps. They are pretty cheap now.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Why not just get a mount for your phone? Google turn by turn is fantastic. I sold my Garmin years ago partially because of the map issues. For what you spend on one update you can get a nice mount, extra cable and charger for your phone. It's an especially great idea if your car has Bluetooth capabilities.

Google Navigation is the greatest. Just plug in my HTC One V and let that run - never had any issue. Free GPS. I could use some sort of mount for it though. I just toss it in my cup holder facing up.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I prefer a dedicated GPS unit. I've not tried it, but what happens when someone calls you while navigating with your GPS? I assume the screen switches to the phone. Of course you could always ignore the call.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I prefer a dedicated GPS unit. I've not tried it, but what happens when someone calls you while navigating with your GPS? I assume the screen switches to the phone. Of course you could always ignore the call.

If your phone is on the GPS then it acts like a GPS and tells you where to go when. If your phone is off or in another app then notifications pop up alerting you to turns so you don't miss them. It's very handy. Since I have Bluetooth in the car I can listen to music and the voiceover just comes over the music for approaching turns and what not. It works very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.