Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoqueCub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
About a year ago, I bought a new iMac 27".

It was sent to me with a broken screen. It took almost 5 weeks for a new computer to be sent to me. I was in school at the time and this was a major problem for me.

About 8 months later, my computer stopped working, I brought it in. Turns out the hard drive crashed. They "replaced" it. I lost my windows install and the programs I had on the windows partition.

A couple months later, I was installing programs back on my computer with the replaced hard drive. I noticed I was running out of space, I couldn't remember the size of my hard drive. I stopped at a different Mac store than the one I had my repair done, a few days later. I spoke to someone (maybe a supervisor) and he was able to tell me that they gave me the wrong hard drive. So, now it turns out if I want my hard drive replaced again, I will lose everything again. It bugs me that, if I hadn't noticed there was a problem, they never would have made an attempt to fix it.

I've waited ti the end of the school semester to attempt yet another repair. This has turned out to be the most unreliable computer I've ever had, but I still like my iMac.

Any advice? I feel I deserve some compensations.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Advice?

You NEED to back up, buy an external HD and backup, you're a student, you need your computer with your files, it is not smart not to have a backup.

ALL HD's do breakdown, it's a matter of time.

Your misery isn't that big, but you make it worse yourself by not having a backup plan.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
So, now it turns out if I want my hard drive replaced again, I will lose everything again.

Why? Simply back up your hard drive onto an external drive, and then restore from the external onto the newly installed (larger) hard drive.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Any advice? I feel I deserve some compensations.

As others have said: BACKUP. You are lucky you were only inconvenienced by your hard drive crash. I know plenty of people who ended up failing or taking an incomplete in classes after losing all their work. Or worse.

As for compensation, given that their carelessness have caused you to need to have a return for an additional repair they should at least offer you expedited "next on bench" repair. This is certainly a reasonable demand.

If you're polite and firm maybe they'll give you an external hard drive for backing up for your troubles. Not sure if they'll bite on this one, but you should buy one no matter what.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.