Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22, 2013, 10:36 PM   #1
musukosan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Need advice. Should I buy an MBA temporarily?

Not to get into the details but I will be away from home in another country for an extended period of time. In my house, I have an iMac and my wife uses an MBA. Any time I travel for a short time I take her MBA, but this time it will be for quite awhile and she doesn't want me taking her laptop, which is understandable.

I plan to do photo editing and web design in my spare time so I need something more than an iPad. We have an older Sony Vaio that I could take. But it is clunky and it is... Windows. But I am a reasonable guy, so if I have no other options, I will take the VAIO but I would like to see if anyone else as a better idea. I've considered renting an MBA but that was just as expensive as buying one. So now I am thinking about buying one but selling it when I get back. Thoughts? I really do NOT need another laptop when I'm at home, these trips are not that frequent. Thanks for the help.
__________________
2009 27" iMac, i7, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB; 1st Gen AppleTV; 2nd Gen AppleTV

Last edited by musukosan; May 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
musukosan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 12:53 AM   #2
heelsbigc
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Short Pump, Va
Thumbs up

If you can afford it, go ahead and buy one.
heelsbigc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 07:04 AM   #3
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia, USA
Buy a 13" MBA for the photo editing and extended battery life over the 11". Look for a refurb on apple.com if you can locate one configured as you need it.
__________________
2012 MBA 13, 2 Ghz i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD; 2011 MBA 11, 1.8 Ghz i7, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD; 2010 MB Pro 15, 2.66 Ghz i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD; two iPad 3s and a mini, two iPhones and a bunch of iPods
wolfpuppies3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Steve121178
macrumors 68000
 
Steve121178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by musukosan View Post
Not to get into the details but I will be away from home in another country for an extended period of time. In my house, I have an iMac and my wife uses an MBA. Any time I travel for a short time I take her MBA, but this time it will be for quite awhile and she doesn't want me taking her laptop, which is understandable.

I plan to do photo editing and web design in my spare time so I need something more than an iPad. We have an older Sony Vaio that I could take. But it is clunky and it is... Windows. But I am a reasonable guy, so if I have no other options, I will take the VAIO but I would like to see if anyone else as a better idea. I've considered renting an MBA but that was just as expensive as buying one. So now I am thinking about buying one but selling it when I get back. Thoughts? I really do NOT need another laptop when I'm at home, these trips are not that frequent. Thanks for the help.
Just made do with using the Vaio as it's only temporary. Or get your wife to use the Vaio & iMac and you take the MBA.

I don't know, you should make your own decision for this scenario and not ask us.
__________________
13" rMBP Haswell i5/16GB/512GB (Late '13) 21.5" iMac i5/16GB/1TB Fusion (Late '12) iPhone 5s 32GB iPad rMini 32GB
Steve121178 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 07:26 AM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
If you would rather use an MB Air over a Vaio then go for it. You don't need a pack of strangers to tell you how to spend your hard earned cash. If you think you'll be happier on the MB Air then jump. You have to decide.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Toss-up. Take Vaio or Buy Then Sell. That's the hardware.

Did you take into consideration you may have to purchase additional software licenses?
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 01:24 PM   #7
musukosan
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
You guys are right, I'm not expecting you to make the decision for me. I was just hoping for more information so that I could make the decision myself. I wasn't very clear but I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas that might work. Also, I forgot to mention it but I was hoping someone might have an idea of the return I could get when I sell it. Let's say, after 6 months. I am willing to go this route as long as xx% return isn't too low. Otherwise, I'll just take the Vaio. But I also understand that that may be a hard question and no one may really have a good answer. Thanks for the replies!
__________________
2009 27" iMac, i7, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB; 1st Gen AppleTV; 2nd Gen AppleTV
musukosan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 01:52 PM   #8
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by musukosan View Post
You guys are right, I'm not expecting you to make the decision for me. I was just hoping for more information so that I could make the decision myself. I wasn't very clear but I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas that might work. Also, I forgot to mention it but I was hoping someone might have an idea of the return I could get when I sell it. Let's say, after 6 months. I am willing to go this route as long as xx% return isn't too low. Otherwise, I'll just take the Vaio. But I also understand that that may be a hard question and no one may really have a good answer. Thanks for the replies!
well, the return might be a bit lower due to the fact that we are expecting an update to the MBA this summer to be announced next month.

baring something bizarre or unforseen problem with the release, your laptop will not only be used but no longer the latest model. how much this will affect the resell price i couldn't say but i imagine it would drag the resale value down a bit.
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 01:54 PM   #9
flynz4
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by musukosan View Post
You guys are right, I'm not expecting you to make the decision for me. I was just hoping for more information so that I could make the decision myself. I wasn't very clear but I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas that might work. Also, I forgot to mention it but I was hoping someone might have an idea of the return I could get when I sell it. Let's say, after 6 months. I am willing to go this route as long as xx% return isn't too low. Otherwise, I'll just take the Vaio. But I also understand that that may be a hard question and no one may really have a good answer. Thanks for the replies!
If you buy a used machine... you are likely to lose less than if you buy a new machine and sell it later.

I am not too sure how long you will be gone... so I'll assume 6 months for illustration purposes. If you buy new... you sell a six month old computer and lose a lot (because it is not new anymore). If you buy a 12 month old computer... it probably will not loose much value when you sell it as an 18 month old computer.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 06:08 PM   #10
musukosan
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
If you buy a used machine... you are likely to lose less than if you buy a new machine and sell it later.
Good point. I'll start looking on Ebay and CL. Thanks for everyone's help.
__________________
2009 27" iMac, i7, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB; 1st Gen AppleTV; 2nd Gen AppleTV
musukosan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 10:58 PM   #11
sam2428
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
I'm not sure what all your uses are but you could sell your iMac and buy a higher end MacBook Air or even a rMBP. This way you have your own laptop and won't have to worry about it when the situation arises again in the future. Also, you won't have to settle for a lesser machine for the next six months and/or lose your money.

Just another option
sam2428 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 10:28 AM   #12
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Why not buy a refurb, or a good quality used MBA? You can always sell it - or better still - sell - or give - the 'clunky VAIO' to a charity/third world shop when you return home.

When you are abroad - for an extended period of time - with few other outlets, and little opportunity to socialise outside of your immediate work environment - a decent computer is a must, not a luxury, as it is your lifeline for communication and very often, information, too. Clunky VAIOs won't cut it, in my opinion.

At the moment, I'm abroad, - for an extended period - and I must admit that I would be completely lost without my MBA. Indeed, for the first time in my life, I am contemplating adding an iPad to my MBA.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 01:03 PM   #13
Boyd01
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Jersey Pine Barrens
I would buy the MBA - used or refurb is probably a good idea and maybe get a smaller SSD and RAM model unless you really need more. I recently took two trips with my 2011 13" MBA and it was just great all around.

I wouldn't make too many hard assumptions about resale value because who knows what condition it will be in by the time you return. You could drop it, it could have a hardware failure, it could get stolen...
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 03:32 PM   #14
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by musukosan View Post
Not to get into the details but I will be away from home in another country for an extended period of time. In my house, I have an iMac and my wife uses an MBA. Any time I travel for a short time I take her MBA, but this time it will be for quite awhile and she doesn't want me taking her laptop, which is understandable.
...
You did not say how old your wife's Air is. What you could do is buy a new (or refurbished Air). And then after the trip if it's better than what your wife has, let her switch to the new one and you can sell her old one or keep it for your shorter trips.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 05:52 AM   #15
yinz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Definitely, MBA is awesome. A 13" can easily be a primary computer as long as you aren't a gamer.
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 03:07 PM   #16
musukosan
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I ended up getting, what I think to be, a decent deal on a 2011 13" for $650. Used, of course, but in good shape. Most I was finding were going for at least 700 to 800 bucks. I decided if I could get a good deal on one I would go for it, so I did. We'll see how much I get for it in 6 months. Assuming nothing bad happens to it in the mean time.

Thanks for everyone's advice.
__________________
2009 27" iMac, i7, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB; 1st Gen AppleTV; 2nd Gen AppleTV
musukosan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 03:13 PM   #17
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by musukosan View Post
I ended up getting, what I think to be, a decent deal on a 2011 13" for $650. Used, of course, but in good shape. Most I was finding were going for at least 700 to 800 bucks. I decided if I could get a good deal on one I would go for it, so I did. We'll see how much I get for it in 6 months. Assuming nothing bad happens to it in the mean time.

Thanks for everyone's advice.
i think you made a wise choice. and if you decide to upgrade 6 months to a year from now you'll get some of that back and be well-poised to decide what you want to get next.

$50-$100 a month (minus whatever you sell it for) isn't a bad deal :-)
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MBA Advice harry*333 Buying Tips and Advice 6 Jun 21, 2013 11:32 AM
Buy AppleCare for 2011 MBA or sell and get 2012 MBA? dmk1974 MacBook Air 3 Nov 11, 2012 10:02 AM
Buy applecare $200 or sell MBA and buy new version NYRangers11 MacBook Air 7 Jul 20, 2012 01:06 PM
Should I replace my MBP with latest MBA or keep it and buy refurb MBA? yensteel Buying Tips and Advice 5 Jun 29, 2012 01:52 AM
Which to buy? Refurb 2011 MBA or new 2012 MBA? gdog75 MacBook Air 21 Jun 18, 2012 12:02 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC