Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Initial internet set up?

So I am moving on saturday and switched to charter. I have an airport express, an ipad, and the airport utility app. Could the internet actually be set up, initially, without having to go through a pc? Could I just connect the modem to the airport and go through the airport ulilty app to set everything up, or would an actual computer be needed?

I did call charter and asked, but they just seemed clueless as to what I was talkng about, so wonder if any of you have tried this? Thanks.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:07 PM   #2
hallux
macrumors 6502a

You should be able to pre-configure your AE so you're ready to just connect to the internet when they bring the modem. If they require an authentication, be ready to configure it in the AU when they come to set you up. Otherwise, it should be the same as connecting a PC, no matter which device you're connecting first.

If they require that the internet-facing MAC address be registered, be absolutely sure you use the AE first or you'll have hoops to jump through when you switch to the AE after initial set up with the Mac.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
So I am moving on saturday and switched to charter. I have an airport express, an ipad, and the airport utility app. Could the internet actually be set up, initially, without having to go through a pc? Could I just connect the modem to the airport and go through the airport ulilty app to set everything up, or would an actual computer be needed?

I did call charter and asked, but they just seemed clueless as to what I was talkng about, so wonder if any of you have tried this? Thanks.
You do not need a computer. You can completely configure the AE using nothing but the Airport Utility on an iPad.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:56 AM   #4
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Thanks. I knew I could configure the router...just was not sure if charter needed a computer to configure the modem first.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Thanks. I knew I could configure the router...just was not sure if charter needed a computer to configure the modem first.
Oh I gotcha... no they will not. The modem config is done by them remotely once it is connected to the cable outlet.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals