Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
I installed Parallels 8 on my iMac and have put Windows 7 on it. It is sharing the data so that what is on my iMac desktop is also seen on my Windows 7 desktop. I thought this was a good idea but now I am not so sure!

Do you guys tend to keep things completely separate, with a closed environment for Windows 7? Or do you share the data, and use Coherence mode etc?

Thanks,

Jon

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I installed Parallels 8 on my iMac and have put Windows 7 on it. It is sharing the data so that what is on my iMac desktop is also seen on my Windows 7 desktop. I thought this was a good idea but now I am not so sure!

Do you guys tend to keep things completely separate, with a closed environment for Windows 7? Or do you share the data, and use Coherence mode etc?

Thanks,

Jon

I only use Parallels on my work account. I share the desktop and documents. It makes it easier to work across both operating systems for me.

/Jim

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I limit sharing between host and guest to pre-defined shared folders. This way, Windows can't insert random files into my Mac profile that OS X has no use for (or vice versa), and it's easy to clean up after the VM has been shut down.

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Use Dropbox

I limit sharing between host and guest to pre-defined shared folders. This way, Windows can't insert random files into my Mac profile that OS X has no use for (or vice versa), and it's easy to clean up after the VM has been shut down.

I only use Win 7 for work in both Parallels and also in boot camp when I want all resources up for Autodesk Civil 3d etc. I use Dropbox for all my work files so I know where things are going! Also makes it available at workstations etc for rendering!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I only use Win 7 for work in both Parallels and also in boot camp when I want all resources up for Autodesk Civil 3d etc. I use Dropbox for all my work files so I know where things are going! Also makes it available at workstations etc for rendering!
That's actually a good idea - I did not think of that. The one downside of Dropbox is that it's dependent on your network connection - my upload speed is certainly faster than the 56k modem days, but it's still not all that quick.

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Yes but...

That's actually a good idea - I did not think of that. The one downside of Dropbox is that it's dependent on your network connection - my upload speed is certainly faster than the 56k modem days, but it's still not all that quick.

Remember that Dropbox uses a folder on the hard drive that it then backs up to the cloud, so it can dribble away uploading in the background.

I use my MBP when out and about tethered to an iPhone to get a 3G signal and it still works fine.

Everything is then visible on Windows as well as I have created a short cut in libraries in windows back to OSX dropbox folder as my save point!

Worth considering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.