Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

branana

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2006
You contacted Feral support? We can see if anything obvious pops up compared to our iMac with the same card.

BTW is that card an official Mac one (EVGA GeForce GTX 680 MAC Edition) or a PC one? We don't support unofficial cards as they can sometimes have strange side effects that only occur in certain circumstances compared to the official "Mac" cards that OS X supports.

I know Washac (who has mentioned issues on his Mac) has a Windows graphics card in his MacPro which seems to have side effects that don't happen when we load the game on Apple supported/shipped card versions. We investigated but it appeared that it was related to the graphics card at the time :'(

Usually unofficial cards just work but we cannot buy all the different PC/Windows cards to test and work around weird side effects so although we try and make sure unofficial cards work (and we don't block them) we cannot guarantee performance or side effects. We often find these cards can work great 99% of the time but then have a problem with a specific area that the reference Apple cards don't.

If you do email support mention you spoke to me on the forums and they will make sure your details get sent over to me to have a look in engineering.

UPDATE: FYI on an 27" iMac with a 680 2GB (2560x1440 and Highest possible settings) I am getting over 30 fps. I had a beta of an upcoming game on max settings tabbed out in the background when I did this test.

Edwin

Bah, that is a 680m too. I just tested Windows 7 in bootcamp on this machine. Same settings and same location in game gives about 85 fps vs the 22 fps I get in 10.9.

This is the eVGA reference GTX 680 flashed with the eVGA for Mac card's ROM. As far as the general consensus goes, it is as close to the Mac card as possible/perhaps exactly the same. I would be grateful if you could have the engineering team take a look my system report anyways. Maybe they do have some insight.

----------

Are we using the same version? I'm on the Oct 2013 one.

Version 1.9.0 (1) in About OpenGL Driver monitor window.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Bah, that is a 680m too. I just tested Windows 7 in bootcamp on this machine. Same settings and same location in game gives about 85 fps vs the 22 fps I get in 10.9.

This is the eVGA reference GTX 680 flashed with the eVGA for Mac card's ROM. As far as the general consensus goes, it is as close to the Mac card as possible/perhaps exactly the same. I would be grateful if you could have the engineering team take a look my system report anyways. Maybe they do have some insight.

----------

Version 1.9.0 (1) in About OpenGL Driver monitor window.

OK will have a look when support pass on your email.

Edwin

dave-tx

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Anyone know if it's possible to get XCOM to span across two monitors (in windowed mode, not fullscreen)?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
OK will have a look when support pass on your email.

Edwin

Due to how GL contexts work it might work if both monitors use the same graphics card but it's not something that traditionally works or we would test for. You can always give it a go :)

Edwin

dave-tx

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Due to how GL contexts work it might work if both monitors use the same graphics card but it's not something that traditionally works or we would test for. You can always give it a go :)

Edwin

Cool, I'll make sure both monitors are using the same card and poke around with the settings and see what I can do. Thanks!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Does anyone else have an issue where the game doesn't properly take over the screen? If I scroll down the dock appears, and notifications show up. 10.9.1.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Does anyone else have an issue where the game doesn't properly take over the screen? If I scroll down the dock appears, and notifications show up. 10.9.1.

That's how Apple want full screen to work on OS X, it's how it is designed and their is no official way of disabling the dock and allowing notifications using the latest fullscreen APIs. :)

However if you look in the pre game options window you will find an option to disable the dock and notifications (we use an older full screen API), it doesn't have any performance difference but it will mean expose will not work like other full screen apps. You can still tab in and out using cmd + tab.

Edwin

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
That's how Apple want full screen to work on OS X, it's how it is designed and their is no official way of disabling the dock and allowing notifications using the latest fullscreen APIs. :)

I figured as much, but IMO it's shortsighted on Apple's part as it's totally unsuited for games.
However if you look in the pre game options window you will find an option to disable the dock and notifications (we use an older full screen API), it doesn't have any performance difference but it will mean expose will not work like other full screen apps. You can still tab in and out using cmd + tab.

Edwin

Thanks. That's the important part. IMO this should be the default, as it is with most games...

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I figured as much, but IMO it's shortsighted on Apple's part as it's totally unsuited for games.

It would be nice if they offered control over the dock etc :)

Thanks. That's the important part. IMO this should be the default, as it is with most games...

It is built into every single Feral game we ever released for OS X, we also cut the CPU usage(aka auto pause) in the background to help save battery life etc.

Edwin

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It is built into every single Feral game we ever released for OS X, we also cut the CPU usage(aka auto pause) in the background to help save battery life etc.

Edwin

I meant the option to hide the dock should be enabled by default.

BTW, after I enabled it I noticed Exposé still works.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I meant the option to hide the dock should be enabled by default.

BTW, after I enabled it I noticed Exposé still works.

We have found more people want notifications, than don't hence it.being on by default.

Apple will at some point ban/not support the older method so having the newer one as default is also a little safer.

But if we get more requests like yours we will look into it again.

Thanks for the feedback

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
We have found more people want notifications, than don't hence it.being on by default.

Really? I can sort of buy that for a game like Batman (though I still hate it in that instance--I want to be immersed in my game, not read email) but for any game in which you move the mouse to the edge of the screen to move the camera, it's extremely aggravating (and seems like a bug!).

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Really? I can sort of buy that for a game like Batman (though I still hate it in that instance--I want to be immersed in my game, not read email) but for any game in which you move the mouse to the edge of the screen to move the camera, it's extremely aggravating (and seems like a bug!).

That's why we have the option but many people like seeing iChat messages etc when playing. I agree in XCOM I usually have it disabled but then again I have a secondary monitor for iChat etc :)

Edwin

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I have a problem with Hot Corners and fullscreen.
there is a fix?

Read the thread above the last two pages are related to dock (and hot corners) ;)

To save you reading it all here is the important part.

If you look in the pre game options window you will find an option to disable the dock and notifications (we use an older full screen API), it doesn't have any performance difference but it will mean features like notifications and hot corners will not work like other full screen apps. You can still tab in and out using cmd + tab.

Edwin

Gu1b0

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2013
Read the thread above the last two pages are related to dock (and hot corners) ;)

To save you reading it all here is the important part.

If you look in the pre game options window you will find an option to disable the dock and notifications (we use an older full screen API), it doesn't have any performance difference but it will mean features like notifications and hot corners will not work like other full screen apps. You can still tab in and out using cmd + tab.

Edwin

Thank you Ed, but it already enabled, and the corners still work :/
edit

Last edited:

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Thank you Ed, but it already enabled, and the corners still work :/
edit

Then sorry we can't stop it, it is an OS thing that Apple don't allow you to override hot corners (in any official supported way). It only effects games with cursors but we do periodically look for anything new Apple has added to avoid this :(

Edwin

Gu1b0

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2013
Then sorry we can't stop it, it is an OS thing that Apple don't allow you to override hot corners (in any official supported way). It only effects games with cursors but we do periodically look for anything new Apple has added to avoid this :(

Edwin

No problem then.

It's a great game and a great port.

I love tactical rpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.