Parallels Desktop 8 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Rhinoevans
macrumors 6502

Parallels Desktop 8

I loaded Parallels Desktop 8 on my new cMBP today.

Installed without issues. Then Installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Also installed without Issue. Works great, although so far all I have done is use VPN, IE, and some other small programs.

I guess Boot-Camp is less expensive, but I was able to pickup Parallels for $35 when I order extra 16G ram from OWC.

Also nice to be running Windows in OS X, without having to reboot. Probably runs faster the other way, but I will not game in the Windows 7 setup.. That is what I have XBOX for.

Anyways, just thought I would comment.

Intent is to use the MAC 100% and only windows for application that are not MAC compatible.
Rhinoevans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:46 AM   #2
b0fh666
macrumors regular

fusion user here, works VERY well. lots of VMs for testing stuff, windows server 2008 r2/64, windows 7 ultimate/64, two windows XP / 32 and one gentoo linux with KDE just for kicks

love how fusion / OSX handle fullscreen VMs as 'spaces', much nicer to use than workstation on windows (also use that @ work, and the VMs are portable between both just need to copy the virtual disk )
b0fh666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:30 PM   #3
itegypt
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to itegypt
+1 fusion
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:45 PM   #4
*Sonic*
macrumors newbie

Fusion here too, ran the trial then bought it about a week before it expired as I was more than happy with it

Only using it for Sage at the moment though

One question, are any fusion users using a bootcamp partition as the VM ?
*Sonic* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:51 PM   #5
itegypt
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to itegypt
I have used bootcamp partition as the VM before with no issues
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:24 PM   #6
TSE
macrumors 68030

I prefer Parallels, although more expensive, it has *slightly* better performance (although almost negligible), but many more features that integrate it with Mountain Lion better.

I have a Windows 7 VM linked from my boot camp partition, I have a Windows 8 VM, and a Windows XP VM. All run incredibly well.

You can't go wrong with either though, if you are on a tight budget Fusion is a great option.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:16 AM   #7
mslide
macrumors 6502a

VirtualBox. Free and works just as well.
mslide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:24 AM   #8
AppleMacFinder
macrumors 6502a

Parallels. Full DirectX 10 support (unlike competitors) and really impressive benchmarks.
AppleMacFinder is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:30 AM   #9
switon
macrumors 6502a

RE: Sage...(which one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post

Only using it for Sage at the moment though
Hi *Sonic*,

Pardon my naiveté concerning Windows applications, but when you say you only use Fusion for Sage, do you mean Sage as in The Sage Notebook, the web interface to a number of symbolic mathematics programs such a maxima, octave, mathematica, MATLAB, gap, axiom, singular, etc.? If so, then let me inform you that you can get a freeware Sage binary that runs under Mac OS X and thus not have to worry about running Windows just for The Sage Notebook.

If, on the other hand, by Sage you mean some other Windows program, then I apologize for wasting your time.

Switon
switon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:33 PM   #10
*Sonic*
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by switon View Post
Hi *Sonic*,

Pardon my naiveté concerning Windows applications, but when you say you only use Fusion for Sage, do you mean Sage as in The Sage Notebook, the web interface to a number of symbolic mathematics programs such a maxima, octave, mathematica, MATLAB, gap, axiom, singular, etc.? If so, then let me inform you that you can get a freeware Sage binary that runs under Mac OS X and thus not have to worry about running Windows just for The Sage Notebook.

If, on the other hand, by Sage you mean some other Windows program, then I apologize for wasting your time.

Switon
Hi Switon,

Sorry I should have elaborated. It is Sage Accounts software I use, sadly they do not do an OSX version, never have and more than likely never will
*Sonic* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:37 PM   #11
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020

Parallels is my choice. Especially since they gave me Parallels 8 for free as a gift for being part of the beta program.

Haven't tried Fusion, but either way they're both quite good, especially if it's just basic use.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro