[iPad] Just bought my iPad 4th gen and... - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:51 PM   #26
RichP74
macrumors member

Yeah, I just bought a 4 last week as well, despite the 5 being around the corner.

I have a mini, which I quite like, but I just need a bigger screen for some of the stuff I do like Remote Desktop into windows PCs. And reading certain forums is much easier on this thing.

Don't regret it at all. I even bought AppleCare for it, as I'm that certain I'm keeping it for the long haul.
RichP74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:47 AM   #27
syd430

I think the real reason that the 2 is still out there is to appeal to business and comercial users who snap up ipads in bulk for productivity use only. Businesses don't generally buy the ipad mini due to the smaller screen size.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:29 PM   #28
Commy1
macrumors 6502a

It's good you did, now that iOS 7 will only be coming to the 4th Gen
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:39 AM   #29
arcite
macrumors 6502a

iOS 7 will work perfectly fine on iPad3, minus the new wifi feature (which is minor anyway). Love my iPad 3, runs great, no stuttering!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 01:43 AM   #30
WeegieMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commy1 View Post
Wrong. iPad 2 and up was what Apple said at the keynote.
WeegieMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 04:21 AM   #31
yegon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yeah, because Apple really want 80%* of all the iPad's they've ever sold to be incapable of running their latest os. Good grief. Apple crowed about 92% (or whatever it was) uptake of iOS6 in their keynote for a reason.

*Stat plucked from thin air obviously, but the % of users with iPad 4’s will be absolutely dwarfed by the number of users with iPad 2’s/Mini's and 3's combined.

Last edited by yegon; Jun 16, 2013 at 04:42 AM.
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 04:53 AM   #32
WeegieMac

The iPad 4 is going to be around for a while, it's internals are geared toward far longer term use than it's predecessor (in terms of intense apps, not general web browsing and basic operation).

I'm upgrading to an iPad 4 next month, not because I think the 3 is slow or it's inferior, but merely due to the opportunity to do so via work. I'll give my wife my 3, which she's delighted with as it's a 64GB and she can load it full of Modern Family and New Girl episodes (poor iPad), but I think the 3 gets far too much abuse and beat downs on here.

In another thread someone called it a "stuttering wreck", which I corrected them on as it was a ludicrous comment to make. When my 4 comes and I've had time to sit down and have a proper play around with it for an extended period, I'll be happy to report the first proper "unbiased" comparison between the 3 and 4, because thus far it's been ridiculous.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 02:20 PM   #33
Commy1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post
Wrong. iPad 2 and up was what Apple said at the keynote.
My bad, you are correct. AirDrop will only be available for the 4th gen. But take into that iOS 7 probably won't run very well on the iPad 2 compared to the 4th gen. So however many people will upgrade is an entirely other question.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 02:34 PM   #34
WeegieMac

Quote:
My bad, you are correct. AirDrop will only be available for the 4th gen. But take into that iOS 7 probably won't run very well on the iPad 2 compared to the 4th gen. So however many people will upgrade is an entirely other question.
You've no idea how iOS 7 will run on the iPad 2, you know as much as the rest of us.

I personally feel that the dual core A5's have plenty left in them, especially the iPad variant since it has a 1GHz CPU compared to the 800MHz A5 found in the iPhone 4S.

Don't also forget that iOS 7 isn't throwing around as many texture based icons and UI elements compared to iOS 6, so that should (in theory) result in better performance.

Until the beta comes we have no idea, but then even the first beta won't be a perfect indication of true performance.
WeegieMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 03:18 PM   #35
taedouni
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post
You've no idea how iOS 7 will run on the iPad 2, you know as much as the rest of us.

I personally feel that the dual core A5's have plenty left in them, especially the iPad variant since it has a 1GHz CPU compared to the 800MHz A5 found in the iPhone 4S.

Don't also forget that iOS 7 isn't throwing around as many texture based icons and UI elements compared to iOS 6, so that should (in theory) result in better performance.

Until the beta comes we have no idea, but then even the first beta won't be a perfect indication of true performance.
I concur. The iPad 2 isn't even retina so that should help with performance.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:45 AM   #36
Robster3
In Time-Out

I sold a ipad 3 because of heat issues and got a mini, I like everything about it except text is just crap and for websites the screen is too small, especially after having a retina MacBook for a few months.
Think I will sell and get a ipad 4.
Robster3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:53 AM   #37
960design
macrumors 6502a

I've had a 32G iPad3 since it came out and find that it works perfectly. I don't recall any stutter when playing games like Galaxy on Fire 2 at full res or when running business apps.

I just bought the office 10 of the latest iPad with Retina ( 32G ) for testing with the new iOS7 when it drops. I'll let you know if we notice a performance difference.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:11 PM   #38
Dyn-tec
macrumors member

So on apples website it says ios 7 will be available for ipad 2 and ipad with retina......so that's the 4's AND the 3's?!?!
Dyn-tec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:58 AM   #39
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn-tec View Post
So on apples website it says ios 7 will be available for ipad 2 and ipad with retina......so that's the 4's AND the 3's?!?!
If it's available for the iPad 2, it should also be available for the 3 AND the 4, don't you think?
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:48 PM   #40
Dyn-tec
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle View Post
If it's available for the iPad 2, it should also be available for the 3 AND the 4, don't you think?
Sorry, didn't mean iOS7....meant "Airdrop"...but I am sure the answer is still the same.

Just funny how Apple acts the Ipad 3 never existed....
Dyn-tec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:58 PM   #41
bettaboy123
macrumors member

I had an original iPad, skipped the iPad 2, got a 3, which was thrown against a wall, and replaced it with a 4. The iPad 3 was no stuttering mess, but the 4 definitely feels just a tad faster than my iPad 3 after it was fixed and given to my brother and felt faster than my parent's 3 as well.

I think the Lightning port is my favorite thing about it compared to the iPad 3 just because I can put it in the right way every time (unlike the stupid 30-pin connector). The slightly faster speed in iPhoto is great too.
iPod Shuffle 3G 2GB (need a 6th gen nano)
bettaboy123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:12 PM   #42
mphtrilogy
macrumors newbie

got mine last week,

upgraded from the ipad 1.0..

and I am loving it so far..

can't beleive I waited so long to upgrade...

loving Siri!
mphtrilogy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad