git with "local" remote rep - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:32 PM   #1
SchodMC
macrumors member

git with "local" remote rep

Hi guys,

Using Xcode with git seems to be a really fine solution. But there is one thing I couldn't figure out how to make it.

I want to create a remote repository on an external USB drive, so that I can push my work to the USB drive from time to time to have an external backup. So I created an new repository on my USB drive using the command "git --bare init" inside the folder where I want to store that repository. Then I switched to my projects directory and added the folder with "git remote add TestAppExternal file://Volumes/External/git\ repositories/testapp/". Everything goes fine, but when I want to push my repository to the "remote" repository on my USB drive using the command "git push -u TestAppExternal master", I got the following error message:

fatal: '/External/git repositories/testapp/' does not appear to be a git repository
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

So - what I'm doing wrong? Will be nice if someone can help me here.

cu
SchodMC
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:58 PM   #2
thekingofnerds
macrumors regular

Don't use file:// when you do git remote add

Remove the current remote repo and do:

Code:
git remote add TestAppExternal /Volumes/External/git\ repositories/testapp/
Just tested real quick - when you add file:// it makes it think the external HD is relative to root, rather than relative to /Volumes. Not entirely sure why - seems like it may be a bug.
thekingofnerds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 01:05 PM   #3
SchodMC
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofnerds View Post

Code:
Just tested real quick - when you add file:// it makes it think the external HD is relative to root, rather than relative to /Volumes. Not entirely sure why - seems like it may be a bug.
Hey - that works. Even Xcode will now accept the remote repository for push / pull operations. Thank you very much.

cu
SchodMC
Old Aug 25, 2013, 01:25 PM   #4
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofnerds View Post

Code:
Try it with 3 slashes, e.g. file:///Volumes/External/pathname.

Or try file://localhost/Volumes/External/pathname.

The OP's error message was:
Code:
fatal: '/External/git repositories/testapp/' does not appear to be a git repository
To me, this looks like the //Volumes part is being interpreted as a hostname, which is correct according to the latest RFCs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_URI_scheme#Format
Note that when omitting host you do not omit the slash ("file:///foo.txt" is okay, while "file://foo.txt" is not, although some interpreters manage to handle the latter).
Also see the "Examples" section for examples.
chown33 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 02:10 PM   #5
thekingofnerds
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
To me, this looks like the //Volumes part is being interpreted as a hostname, which is correct according to the latest RFCs.
Note that when omitting host you do not omit the slash ("file:///foo.txt" is okay, while "file://foo.txt" is not, although some interpreters manage to handle the latter).
That explains it. Thanks.
thekingofnerds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 05:27 PM   #6
SchodMC
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
Try it with 3 slashes, e.g. file:///Volumes/External/pathname.

Or try file://localhost/Volumes/External/pathname.

The OP's error message was:
Code:
Just tried it out with file:/// and file://localhost/ - both worked fine. Learned an other thing - thanks for that.

cu
SchodMC

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming