Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Could we put a lid on all the "Mac pro looks like a garbage can" and the many many many pictures of garbage cans (and ashtrays and whatnot) posted. The Mac Pro threads are getting hundreds of posts anyway and having half of them being comments that say nothing more than "garbage can!" it makes it fairly awful to wade through.

The OSX Mavericks threads are also pretty overrun with discussion about nothing more than the name, but I don't know if you guys would want to crack down on that just yet.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
While I think the name discussion is fine, it's getting annoying seeing the trash can posts.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Could we put a lid on all the "Mac pro looks like a garbage can" and the many many many pictures of garbage cans (and ashtrays and whatnot) posted. The Mac Pro threads are getting hundreds of posts anyway and having half of them being comments that say nothing more than "garbage can!" it makes it fairly awful to wade through.

The OSX Mavericks threads are also pretty overrun with discussion about nothing more than the name, but I don't know if you guys would want to crack down on that just yet.

Mods, sorry I started a new thread for it, feel free to lock or delete it.

On the topic of this thread, I think many old hands probably feel that parts of the site are going downhill as a new demographic with little sense of the past, or how the whole tech world has evolved, becomes more prominent.

I, too, have reported quite a number of posts, and I'm glad that such 'constant vigilance' is welcomed. Agreed, sometimes, the 'Steve would have/would never have.....' comments really irk me, then I remind myself of the excessive adulation the iconic founder might expect to receive in a forum dedicated to products he helped bring about. And yes, given the vehement level of discussion and debate that has been known to occur there, I admit that I avoid the iPhone threads completely.

However, on the discussion (which I have yet to visit) on the name change for the OS to Mavericks, I have to say that I have no real problem with it. Yes, the tenor and content may well be tediously banal, but given that Apple have for years named their OS after big cats, a whole new - and unexpected - direction in terms of the nomenclature used to describe it seems to me to be a perfectly legitimate topic for a site dedicated to all things Apple.

milo

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
A new thread was created because the post was somewhat off-topic, and brought back a thread that hadn't seen posts since November 2012.

Since your discussion appears valid, it was made into it's own thread.

Thanks for the info, I thought I had done it accidentally and was losing my mind.

And no pun intended, I guess it was a freudian slip.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow

We delete posts that are image-only, or where the image isn't being used to illustrate an on-topic point of view. So just report them, that's easier than trying to perform mind control on members! :p

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
On the topic of this thread, I think many old hands probably feel that parts of the site are going downhill as a new demographic with little sense of the past, or how the whole tech world has evolved, becomes more prominent.

I, too, have reported quite a number of posts, and I'm glad that such 'constant vigilance' is welcomed. Agreed, sometimes, the 'Steve would have/would never have.....' comments really irk me, then I remind myself of the excessive adulation the iconic founder might expect to receive in a forum dedicated to products he helped bring about. And yes, given the vehement level of discussion and debate that has been known to occur there, I admit that I avoid the iPhone threads completely.

However, on the discussion (which I have yet to visit) on the name change for the OS to Mavericks, I have to say that I have no real problem with it. Yes, the tenor and content may well be tediously banal, but given that Apple have for years named their OS after big cats, a whole new - and unexpected - direction in terms of the nomenclature used to describe it seems to me to be a perfectly legitimate topic for a site dedicated to all things Apple.

I also have experienced frustration with the change in this site over the years. My first computer was an Apple IIe and there has always been a "cult-like" feeling of being a serious Apple customer.

I think part of it is similar to what the company has faced as a whole. Where once the Mac was the heart of Apple, now the lion's share of income comes from iPhones, and iTunes is almost as big as Macs in terms of revenue. So, now there are millions who were not part of the whole Apple experience and just ended up owning an iPhone. Maybe they eventually got a Mac, but they are not truly invested in the whole Apple thing.

I'm not saying that everyone should be a (hate to use the word) Fanboy. I still have criticisms of Apple and the way they do some things. But it's different if you are into Apple for the long haul versus, those who jumped on the bandwagon when things got great. It's kind of like when a sports team does well and all of a sudden there are all these fans everywhere, but when something goes wrong, they scatter. I just liked it more when most everyone here was an Apple devotee.

I don't know if the Mac Pro will be great. My first impression is that it is really cool and will set the direction for the future. But without pricing, pricing for peripherals, and a lot of other information I can't judge yet.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

Agreed. I'm really getting tired of it. They're also clamping down on the "Safari is Snappier" comments - so I think it's only fitting to stop this meme before it spreads further.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Most of the forum is seriously annoying right now to be honest. The 'ibin' comments are some of the most annoying tho!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I also have experienced frustration with the change in this site over the years. My first computer was an Apple IIe and there has always been a "cult-like" feeling of being a serious Apple customer.

I think part of it is similar to what the company has faced as a whole. Where once the Mac was the heart of Apple, now the lion's share of income comes from iPhones, and iTunes is almost as big as Macs in terms of revenue. So, now there are millions who were not part of the whole Apple experience and just ended up owning an iPhone. Maybe they eventually got a Mac, but they are not truly invested in the whole Apple thing.

I'm not saying that everyone should be a (hate to use the word) Fanboy. I still have criticisms of Apple and the way they do some things. But it's different if you are into Apple for the long haul versus, those who jumped on the bandwagon when things got great. It's kind of like when a sports team does well and all of a sudden there are all these fans everywhere, but when something goes wrong, they scatter. I just liked it more when most everyone here was an Apple devotee.

I don't know if the Mac Pro will be great. My first impression is that it is really cool and will set the direction for the future. But without pricing, pricing for peripherals, and a lot of other information I can't judge yet.

You have made some very good points about the evolution of Apple as a company, and how it has gone from a niche player and producer of elegant products to a company which now occupies a large part of the mainstream with the development of hugely successful (indeed, mould-breaking products) such as the iPhone.

However, looking at it from the perspective of 'whether you are in it for the long haul' or 'those who jumped on the bandwagon when things got great' (in common with the football team analogy which is a good one) is missing the point, I think. Moreover, it suggests an emotional tie with the company (and perhaps, the desire to claim membership of a small, select, group, a group distinguished by its taste and recognition technological chutpaz) which neither Apple, or any other company, actually merits.

The bottom line is that while the proverbial 'early adopters' may well resent the flood of late adherents to the Cause of Apple, I'm willing to bet that the Esteemed Founder Himself, and indeed, his company, much preferred (and prefer) the sound of cash tills ringing, or the silent slide of a credit card through the maw of the machine which validates it, in vast and growing numbers, to the devotion of an esoteric and self defined technological elite who worship that design nirvana of fusion of form and function that Apple represented at its best.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
I'm willing to bet that the Esteemed Founder Himself, and indeed, his company, much preferred (and prefer) the sound of cash tills ringing, or the silent slide of a credit card through the maw of the machine which validates it, in vast and growing numbers,

I think this is it. I suspect that the way these forums have changed (over the past few years) actually reflect Apple's ambitions and dare I whisper it - values. In the past the alliance of Apple, designers, architects, publishers etc etc was a marriage of convenience for both sides. While we might have prided ourselves of having a pet company that 'understood' us, it was always a bit of an illusion born out of Apple having to be a niche player. Apple have finally found the mass market and while they're prepared to throw us the odd bone they're not going to go back to a niche market player any time soon.

They were never that interested - back in the early 90's I remember going to Stockley Park to a special seminar for publishing companies that were still buying a lot of Apple gear. We didn't feel we were being listened to and we all used the meeting as opportunity to make a lot of constructive points about how they could serve the publishing industry better. (We were probably the only people still buying Apple in any quantity and weren't happy). The quite senior guy running it from Apple was hilarious - rather than listening he simply suggested we all buy PC's instead. There was nearly a riot. A few years later they were getting handouts from Microsoft.

How things change - This is the demographic Apple have always wanted - so I guess it's inevitable that these forums will start to reflect it.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
While I understand the sentiment behind the opening comment, I also feel that some of the commentary has been appropriate. I'm sure Apple will sell a whole bunch of them but the direction Apple has taken it in troubles me. They are going back to a closed system with the concession to external expandability. We were there once in the beginning...

Still, I too stay clear of some topics here, but I always have tried to. The sniping is what's getting bad. And I've sniped back, which isn't helpful to the group.

It's amazing when someone interprets your comments as blasphemy and rips you down because of it. Do not feed the trolls. Do not feed the trolls...

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
I also feel that some of the commentary has been appropriate.

Of course there has been discussion that has been appropriate. I'm talking specifically about the comments that just fixate on how it looks and add nothing else. Those have gotten incredibly redundant and I don't see the value in them.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Of course there has been discussion that has been appropriate. I'm talking specifically about the comments that just fixate on how it looks and add nothing else. Those have gotten incredibly redundant and I don't see the value in them.

Agreed. Yes it's 'different'. My concerns are about function. I thin there were perhaps too many compromises for the incredible design. Seeing the Apple video makes me wonder what I'll have to mortgage to buy one, my soul having been mortgaged years ago for my current Mac Pro...

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

This happened with the iPad name jokes back in the day too. I'm pretty sure there was a MR article on this, I dunno why there was. People are free to have their say here. Well that's the assumption, and time will tell if I'm proved wrong.

----------

I agree 100%. I feel everyone on this site, staff and users are part of this.

----------

If this topic is locked.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1598262/
The iOS 7 forum is a confused, whiney mess

Why is this one still open? I don't see the difference.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I don't know about trash can, i'm holding out for the winner of the shrink wrap the Mac Pro contest to either be "Steve Job's Urn" or "Family-sized Spam."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.