Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
I'm considering to buy an iPhone 5 and this store where I want to buy it, a salesperson there says all the iphones they sell are unwrapped, because before they are sold to end customers they are tested for scuffs and scratches and other problems.

Is there a way for me to know that the one they are selling to me is really new and was just tested, not that some guy unwrapped it, used it for a couple of mohths, and then put it on sale as a "new" one?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Alarm bells would go off in my head if I was offered an unwrapped phone as new. Is there a reason that you want to buy from that particular shop?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I'm considering to buy an iPhone 5 and this store where I want to buy it, a salesperson there says all the iphones they sell are unwrapped, because before they are sold to end customers they are tested for scuffs and scratches and other problems.

Is there a way for me to know that the one they are selling to me is really new and was just tested, not that some guy unwrapped it, used it for a couple of mohths, and then put it on sale as a "new" one?

it will still have the cable and earbuds still factory wrapped under it plus the screen protector will still be on the screen with no fingerprints.

obvious answer is obvious. i can understand a store checking for defects, but no reason to "test" them. and to do that, theres no need to remove the screen protector.

kot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
Alarm bells would go off in my head if I was offered an unwrapped phone as new. Is there a reason that you want to buy from that particular shop?

Well, they are the fastest to deliver, I live in a really small town. They say they test them in their distribution center and I can receive my iPhone tomorrow and the delivery is free.

----------

it will still have the cable and earbuds still factory wrapped under it plus the screen protector will still be on the screen with no fingerprints.

obvious answer is obvious. i can understand a store checking for defects, but no reason to "test" them. and to do that, theres no need to remove the screen protector.

Could the screen protector be reattached later in a way that it's impossible to say if it had been removed previously?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
1. You cannot be sure it hasn't been used. But then if these guys give you a good deal (there are really no good deal with Apple products but I leave that to you), then if everything works and they give you a 30+ money back, no question asked warranty, and you are comfortable with them, what does it matter?

2. WHAT IS THE $%&^# HURRY? I think the initial rush is calmed down, so is gonna take another week, is that a big deal? Look, when you buy from Apple, if you own any other new Apple product before, they come wrapped in boxes like jewelries. Seems silly but that's a unique "Apple Experience."

kot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
Thanks. I think I 'm going to cancel the order and drive to the big city to buy one, still in wraps. ) Just wanted to save on gas.

----------

Lol, just called them, asked to cancel my order, they asked why, I told them I didn't really need a used phone. They tried to reassure me that it would be new, but I insisted. Then the girl on the line told me she'd put a comment in my order that the customer wanted the phone still wrapped. She told me she hoped they would deliver a wrapped box to me. We'll see.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Thanks. I think I 'm going to cancel the order and drive to the big city to buy one, still in wraps. ) Just wanted to save on gas.

----------

Lol, just called them, asked to cancel my order, they asked why, I told them I didn't really need a used phone. They tried to reassure me that it would be new, but I insisted. Then the girl on the line told me she'd put a comment in my order that the customer wanted the phone still wrapped. She told me she hoped they would deliver a wrapped box to me. We'll see.
Shrink wrapping a box is SUPER easy.

Armagoden

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Check whether is there any applications installed rather than pre installed applications or check the talk time. If he had flash the phone, this idea won't be work.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012

You can replace a device under warranty and replace the factory plastic but you can't reset the 365 day warranty. Type in the serial at https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do Once it's activated the warranty starts counting down. If its brand new and never activated it will read the device you have entered has not been activated.

If it's warranty has started it's not brand new. If it hasn't started then its new. You can also get an idea of how long ago it was activated if the warranty has started because the warranty will expire exactly 365 days after the first activation so if it says it expires on Dec 10, 2013 then it's only a few days since it was activated and you could safely say its new or reasonably close to new

Also make sure that the phone's serial matches the box

Last edited:

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Basically they're lying.

Theyre not fake iphones are they? We get fakes in the UK.

kot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
Once it's activated the warranty starts counting down.
What if the one who used it didn't activate it at all? Just used it unactivated.

Theyre not fake iphones are they? We get fakes in the UK.
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure those are genuine. But that doesn't mean one of their employees could not use the phone while it was still in the warehouse.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I would NEVER consider buying from someone who opens the boxes to "check" them. I want to open the factory sealed box myself. And if there are any issues I'll handle it with apple myself. I've never heard of such a thing. And it's total BS. Who is the retailer? (Sorry if u already posted it..I didn't read every post)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I would NEVER consider buying from someone who opens the boxes to "check" them. I want to open the factory sealed box myself. And if there are any issues I'll handle it with apple myself. I've never heard of such a thing. And it's total BS. Who is the retailer? (Sorry if u already posted it..I didn't read every post)

Agreed. I would steer clear of them.

kot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011

A major one (in my country). :) They have a store in my town.

Well anyway, I called them and threatened to cancel the order and after a brief conversation with her superiors the girl agreed to deliver me an unopened box. So I got one still factory sealed and opened it myself. All is well ;-P, as it seems, my unit was assembled just three weeks ago and came with iOS 6.0.1 factory preinstalled. Also the service and support coverage check shows my purchase date is valid.

Now i'm a happy owner of an iPhone 5 :p No scuffs or scratches.

Thanks everyone. Seems like I was extremely worried over trivial matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.