Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:41 AM   #51
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjakester View Post
You arent scared of not being seen? Getting blown over by a strong gust?
Nope. Like I said, it's taller than a lot of other small cars which makes it easier to see.

I think too many people have scared into buying a car rather than buying on its own merits. But that's just me and ymmv.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:24 PM   #52
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:
i can't help but to laugh when i see someone driving one of these things on the highway.
When I see one, I just smile because they are so darn cute and I wish I had one.

Especially with gas prices now at $3.90 a gallon in my area.
Aspasia is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:40 PM   #53
carjakester
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
When I see one, I just smile because they are so darn cute and I wish I had one.

Especially with gas prices now at $3.90 a gallon in my area.
My 2013 nissan sentra gets up to 50 mpg on the highway sometimes. And i can fit 4 other people in it as well as storage in the trunk.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 02:03 PM   #54
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:
My 2013 nissan sentra gets up to 50 mpg on the highway sometimes. And i can fit 4 other people in it as well as storage in the trunk.
Oh, I'm quite content with my good old Toyota Matrix (five speed) which averages about 36 mpg around town in the summer, and close to 50 mpg highway driving.

Smart cars are thrifty vehicles but am guessing one would get bogged down in snow pretty quickly (do they make snow tires for them?) so I don't think it's an option for winter driving in my area.
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 02:12 PM   #55
dejo

Quote:
Smart cars are thrifty vehicles but am guessing one would get bogged down in snow pretty quickly (do they make snow tires for them?) so I don't think it's an option for winter driving in my area.
I've seen a number of them driving around Edmonton, Alberta during the winter. And yes, they do sell winter tires for them.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 02:41 PM   #56
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Whitehorse to Inuvik… In the winter …. Link

" It can, with an experienced driver, handle the worst winter conditions to be found public roads in Canada. If it can handle the road to Inuvik in January, there’s no doubt in my mind that a Smart Fortwo can handle winter in your town."

That road is 1200km, for the record.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 02:58 PM   #57
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Whitehorse to Inuvik… In the winter …. Link

" It can, with an experienced driver, handle the worst winter conditions to be found public roads in Canada. If it can handle the road to Inuvik in January, there’s no doubt in my mind that a Smart Fortwo can handle winter in your town."

That road is 1200km, for the record.
Now, that's impressive. My only concern is this comment:

Drifting snow was the culprit; it’s hard to see, and once you drive in deeper snow, the smart is pulled sharply off the road with little chance of regaining control. It’s unlikely that the cars could have freed themselves without a tow.

We've had 180" of snow here since November. Still two feet on the ground in the woods and loads of snowbanks still melting.

The snowplows don't hit my road until mid-morning. My Matrix (with four snow tires) can easily make the 2-mile trek to the main highway through up to 12 inches of fresh snow. Wonder if the Smart car could do the same in such conditions.

I've seen plenty of them driven around by the summer people over at Bay Harbor in Petoskey (a nearby town). But have never seen one on the road in the winter.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 03:02 PM   #58
dejo

Quote:
Now, that's impressive. My only concern is this comment:

Drifting snow was the culprit; it’s hard to see, and once you drive in deeper snow, the smart is pulled sharply off the road with little chance of regaining control. It’s unlikely that the cars could have freed themselves without a tow.

We've had 180" of snow here since November. Still two feet on the ground in the woods and loads of snowbanks still melting.

The snowplows don't hit my road until mid-morning. My Matrix (with four snow tires) can easily make the 2-mile trek to the main highway through up to 12 inches of fresh snow. Wonder if the Smart car could do the same in such conditions.

I've seen plenty of them driven around by the summer people over at Bay Harbor in Petoskey (a nearby town). But have never seen one on the road in the winter.
Perhaps, you might need something like this:

Old Apr 14, 2014, 06:43 PM   #59
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
Perhaps, you might need something like this:

What a hoot! Thanks for a great giggle!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:55 PM   #60
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

I think just raising that plow would tip the car...
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 02:37 PM   #61
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Perhaps, you might need something like this...
Great. Now I want a Smartcar.

I like the face on them, too. Looks like Pac-Man if he were a smart ass. Maybe that's where they got the name...
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 02:49 PM   #62
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Great. Now I want a Smartcar.

I like the face on them, too. Looks like Pac-Man if he were a smart ass. Maybe that's where they got the name...
I think you just found George Barris' next project.

Oh, wait.. someone beat you to it!

Quote:
"BAT SMART CAR"

Bat Smart Car designed by Barris Kustom for comedian and ventriloquist, Jeff Dunham.
This would have been on his Halloween special, Minding the Monsters.

BL.
bradl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 02:55 PM   #63
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

While I don't agree with vandalizing or damaging someone's property, these Smart Cars are the stupidest pieces of crap I've ever seen and I've always thought about doing this.

I remember reading Consumer Reports once and the Smart Car was listed in the "5 Worst Cars" section. Made me feel validated. They aren't safe, you aren't some hero for the environment because you drive one.

When I read this story, I laughed.

EDIT: Though a Batman decorated version would be cool - as a trophy sort of thing and not as an actual everyday vehicle.

Last edited by jrswizzle; Apr 16, 2014 at 03:11 PM.
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 03:07 PM   #64
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
This would have been on his Halloween special, Minding the Monsters.

BL.
Okay, that's awesome, and it's really tempting me to get one.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 03:21 PM   #65
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Okay, that's awesome, and it's really tempting me to get one.

If George and his late brother Sam could customize this, then it's definitely able to be done. Keep in mind that George and Sam made:
  • the Munster mobile,
  • the Flintstone mobile,
  • Liberace's car,
  • the '29 Roadster from Dragnet,
  • the Black Beauty from the Green Hornet,
  • the original Batmobile,
  • the hotrod from the Beverly Hillbillies,
  • The Ectomobile from Ghostbusters,
  • The A-Team van,
  • The General Lee, and
  • KITT

Just to name a few. The men created the chop shop/custom car industry. And if they can do that with a Smart Car, let alone a Prius, it could be done.

I'm not much of a car guy, but Sam's granddaughter lives next door to me, and his son and wife are a few blocks down the street from where I live.

BL.
bradl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 03:42 PM   #66
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
I remember reading Consumer Reports once and the Smart Car was listed in the "5 Worst Cars" section. Made me feel validated. They aren't safe, you aren't some hero for the environment because you drive one.
Consumer Reports didn't like them because of these reasons: "tiny, two-passenger cabin, a herky-jerky transmission, an under-powered engine". Nothing to do with safety or fuel economy.

By the way, the IIHS rates them Good or Acceptable (the two highest ratings) in crashworthiness. They're basically a roll-cage on wheels, thanks to the Tridion shell.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:25 PM   #67
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Consumer Reports didn't like them because of these reasons: "tiny, two-passenger cabin, a herky-jerky transmission, an under-powered engine". Nothing to do with safety or fuel economy.
Who would have expected a tiny 2 seater car to have a tiny two person passenger cabin and a small engine!? Its certainly a shock to me.
Kissaragi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:58 PM   #68
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
... these Smart Cars are the stupidest pieces of crap I've ever seen and I've always thought about doing this.

I remember reading Consumer Reports once and the Smart Car was listed in the "5 Worst Cars" section. ....
Keeping in mind of course that they were designed to be safe enough by the Germans to drive on the unrestricted speed Autobahns ….

To each their own. Which is why I don't criticize your choice of car.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:08 PM   #69
Cubytus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
(…)They aren't safe, you aren't some hero for the environment because you drive one.(…)
Surely they give that impression of being unsafe, and while I hold no prejudice against most cars, I still feel at times uncomfortable driving these, mostly from others driving much too close and not being sure those anesthetized SUV drivers have actually seen me, even in the clear car2go livery. But I trust German engineering (though they sometimes have unexplained issues such as premature rusting) more than American judgment .

Your SUV gives the opposite impression of being safe, while it's quite the opposite: too high for their width, they easily tip over in an accident, not mentioning a danger to others since light trucks aren't subject to the same safety requirements as normal cars (an absurdity).

Quote:
What's the point of criticizing a fuel-sipping two-seater made for non-obese people? Most people drive alone in their vehicle anyways. It's so tiny I had trouble the few first times I wanted to parallel-park, since rules learnt at driving school didn't apply to vehicles with a turning radius and length this small.

But I can only agree about the transmission I get sometimes better "eco score" using manual mode than their conservatively-tuned transmission.

Quote:
They're basically a roll-cage on wheels, thanks to the Tridion shell.
I guess that's why they look quite ugly compared to small cars made decades before, as well as very heavy for their sizes. Safety has a price, an esthetic one at least.
Cubytus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events