Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Diverging a bit, but I still haven't got an answer from the people who claim that buying from apple would ensure someone gets the...new...old ipad.:confused:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I have one. It's just two days old, bought it from my nearby Apple store. Just took a chance because this store is huge and very high volume.

I could rave about how much better the battery is :) but frankly there's not that much difference.

It's nice, but if you end up with the older model (which I also have) you're not missing much if anything. Both versions are very nice. They're also a better value than my iPad 3.

dnguyen

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
I have one. It's just two days old, bought it from my nearby Apple store. Just took a chance because this store is huge and very high volume.

I could rave about how much better the battery is :) but frankly there's not that much difference.

It's nice, but if you end up with the older model (which I also have) you're not missing much if anything. Both versions are very nice. They're also a better value than my iPad 3.

Do you mind sharing what the model #'s/colors are between the 2,1 and 2,4 versions?

FrenchPB

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
I'm posting from my iPhone tonight while on a business trip.

Sorry, but I didn't bring it with me. Both are WiFi only, black color, 32GB.

Thats all I have at the moment :)

How come an apple store still carry the ipad 2 32 GB version, that one is not available anymore online ?

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
How come an apple store still carry the ipad 2 32 GB version, that one is not available anymore online ?

Apple discontinued all iPad 2 production except the 16GB. Probably a marketing decision. The iPad 2 provides a lower cost entry level device for those who are price conscientious.

idlewire

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2012
Thought I'd chime in here: just picked up an iPad 2 16gb wi-fi yesterday. Both Linpack and Battery Life Pro report it as a 2,4 but the chipmunk website reports it as 2,1.

Part # is MC954LL/A.

Bought in NYC @ 1981 Broadway store.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Tip for finding 2,4

Ok folks,
Firstly I can't start off without saying thanks to everyone out there for their research on iPad 2,4. So thank you! :D

After much researching on the web and physically going from store to store (was easier in some cases than asking over the phone) asking everyone to check the serial numbers on their iPad 2's, I have successfully determined/confirmed at least 2 models that are 2,4 and therefore how you can know for sure that the iPad 2 you're about to buy is 2,4.

From another forum someone in the US purchased ipad 2's with the following serial number prefixes and confirmed they were 2,4:
DMQH
DMPH
None of the stores I checked had these.
However I eventually went to the Apple Store here in Western Australia and asked. They didn't have those particular ones but they informed me that they had the following:
DMQJ
DMPJ
Thus the 4th character appeared to be a progression from H up to J. We both presumed it would have to be a newer model but as they didn't have any of these on display I couldn't check for sure. However this info put me on the right track.

Tonight I found one with serial prefix DMPJ at Big W, Livingston for $398 ($50 cheaper than Apple Store) and thus decided to take the plunge and bought one. I installed Linpack, crossed my fingers, ran the app and booyah! 2,4!!!!!

So if anyone is looking for the 2,4 then please note the following:
USA
MC769LL/A, 16gb, Black, Serial prefixes: DMQH, DMPH
MC979LL/A, 16gb, White, Serial prefixes: DMQH, DMPH

Australia
MC769X/A, 16gb, Black, Serial prefixes: DMQJ, DMPJ
MC979X/A, 16gb, White, Serial prefixes: DMQJ, DMPJ

However it may be possible that the Australian models will also have the prefix with H instead of J and vice versa for US.

In the US there are 2 new US only model numbers which idlewire (previous post) has proven to be iPad 2,4 also, these are:
MC954LL/A 16gb, Black - proven by idlewire
MC989LL/A 16gb, White

So with that said, good luck and happy hunting to those of you trying to get one! :)

So far I've had the iPad running for 2 hours and only 10% battery life has been used. Wow! That's way way better than I was expecting. :)

The iPad 2,4 will keep me going until iPad 4 is released ( hopefully with the Sharp IGZO screen! ) :D

blueone

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Just a small side note, the 4th position in an iPad 2 (or iPhone 4s, newer Mac aso.) serial number is the production year, where the letter h stands for first half of 2012 and j for second half of 2012. combined with the 5th position you can find out the production week, e.g. J1 would be 2012 week 27.
The first 3 are the factory where it was built, so these are the characters to look out for. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.