Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Anyone made the switch?
The new pods are a little uncomfortable in my ears and I'm not getting a great sound from them (unlike the last Apple earphones, which were great for me). I've heard some folks talking about spending more for a better set (in ear) and wondered if there are any that have remote/controls on the wire like the new earpods.

Sennheiser look great but would prefer to not have to keep getting the ipod touch out of my pocket and switching it on just to change tracks or volume, etc.

Any ideas?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Bought the new Earpods specifically to test them out, have to say I'm quite satisfied with them. They fit perfectly in my ear, so I'm glad about that.

Still have a pair of cheap Pink Sony earphones, and I switch between both frequently.

Prawnstar69

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
Klipsch (good for bass)
Shure (got se425, but they dont have controls on the wire, really good sound tho)

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I don't use Apple's.
Bose over the ear active noise canceling for airplane travel.
Shure E215 in ear, they are very comfortable, extremely good for the price and fully serviceable.
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-models/se215-sound-isolating-earphones
There are other models more for talking, but both are great for listening and enjoying your music and also to talk over the phone.
The Bose comes with 2 cable sets, one with the mic/controls.
And the shure you have to buy the accessorie cable to have the mic/controls. Great that you can decide what is best.
If you are in Europe explore sennheisser they also have great products.

Gunny011

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
I've been using the earpods for 2 months now and they sound great for music listening and watching films on my mac.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I've never liked the earbud style. They always fall out of my ears. I prefer the ones that loop around each earlobe. They stay in and never fall out. Since apple doesn't make an around the ear style, I got the Adidas brand in white. The ones with a mic for $79.

Silken

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
I've tried using the ear pods and they hurt my ears after a while. I have a pair of Beats that I use for any long journeys to block out any external noise etc. For short term use I use the headphones that came with my 4S, seeing as they have a mic and volume controls they're perfect for what I need.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I, too, bought seperate earpods with mic just to test the sound and i needed one for my Ipad. (even though i already holded 2 apple earphone myself)

It fits very well, i sometimes use it for more than an hour without realizing any uncomfortables. The sound quality is a let down though, still alternatives earphones are in the same price range or higher and earpods has the best warrenty. I think its a good get if you dont currently own earphone with remote.

ERGRE

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
Bought the new Earpods specifically to test them out, have to say I'm quite satisfied with them.

canuckle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2011
Just picked up the Bowers & Wilkins P3 on-ear headphones. Amazing sound, and very comfortable if you wear glasses. Also comes with 2 cords (one with mic/controls, 1 without).

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Klipsch x10i - good mid-range iems with full control buttons.

2012-11-04%252018.38.11.jpg

crezo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
I've been through probably 30+ pairs of phones in the last ten years and will be sticking with my current two sets for as long at they last.

Atomic Floyd SuperDarts are amazing. They're hands down the single best sounding set of phones I've used, twin driver and punchy as hell. Also as a plus they're made of solid stainless steel, really well built, super comfy and have pause, volume and skip controls, plus a mic. Strangely I've had to use the smallest earbuds on these which I never do on any other phones but seal and sound amazing with these in. Not cheap but will last for years and trust me they sound stunning.

Otherwise go for some big cans, Beyerdynamic DT770s sound amazing too, but you would like like a complete t**t if you wear them out of the house, but trust me they sound great (also used in a lot of REAL production studios (ie not liek most of the 'studio' branded garbage out there) for film, tv and broadcasting, bbc, channel 4 etc etc).

If you really like music it is so worth spending the extra for a set like these, without going to crazy expenses of 4 drivered Shure's etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.