Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batuyetisener

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Hi guys,

I am living in Europe and LTE is not supported in my area so I have to things to consider about that. But I have seen some topics that I can buy an iPhone 5 verizon model from any apple store in US which is factory unlocked and it will work definitely fine with my GSM operator in my country. Do you confirm this? or are there things I need to know more?

Btw, I do not know the difference between CDMA and GSM so just tell will it work or not?

Thank you very much :)

batuyetisener

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
First
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1478494/
this would help

Yes Verizon iPhone 5 is GSM unlocked, It should be alright to use it @ your country.

buying iPhone 5 @ Apple store will be little bit hard for right now
so, as I mentioned it on that link, 1429 CDMA seems to be the best

And do I need to do anything like restoring the phone or just connecting to iTunes will be fine.

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Hey ;

The Verizon phones are factory unlocked so what you gotta do it to put your sim inside and use it.

At AT&T phones you have to fill out a form or use the online services of At&t and they will unlock it and after you recieve a confirmation mail from them restore the device and you ll get an Congrats message and then it will be unlocked.

The part that you should go with Verizon is that you dont have to give up LTE when it comes out and the Verizon also includes the GSM so if I were in your shoes go with the Verizon one.

batuyetisener

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Hey ;

The Verizon phones are factory unlocked so what you gotta do it to put your sim inside and use it.

At AT&T phones you have to fill out a form or use the online services of At&t and they will unlock it and after you recieve a confirmation mail from them restore the device and you ll get an Congrats message and then it will be unlocked.

The part that you should go with Verizon is that you dont have to give up LTE when it comes out and the Verizon also includes the GSM so if I were in your shoes go with the Verizon one.

Teşekkürler Serkan Bey, Türkiye'de iPhone 5 kullanmak için binbir şey yapıyoruz...

(I just said thank you to him in Turkish :))

batuyetisener

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I have been discussing this with a staff at an Apple Store in Los Angeles and unfortunately, he told me that I am wrong and there is nothing like that. I was shocked...

We had a little debate there actually, I showed my evidence from this forum but then he even told me that I am not able to buy the device only without a contract.

I feel like I need go to another store... I mean, tens of people are talking about this here and they cannot be all wrong. :mad:

Jason99kr

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
Seattle, WA, USA
I have been discussing this with a staff at an Apple Store in Los Angeles and unfortunately, he told me that I am wrong and there is nothing like that. I was shocked...

We had a little debate there actually, I showed my evidence from this forum but then he even told me that I am not able to buy the device only without a contract.

I feel like I need go to another store... I mean, tens of people are talking about this here and they cannot be all wrong. :mad:

wow.. I'm sorry to hear that

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...t&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5971

you can try to buy it from Verizon month to month(no contract)
try to visit Verizon store or order it online if possible

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Ben teşekkür ederim ne demek :)

(Your welcome, no problem )

They sometimes say that you must be and customer on at&t or verizon but actually its for the Genius . I had the same problem at the first but after being a little small talk and show your interest and if you make a smiley cat face :D They can help you . But if you are a girl just wear a shirt which with a cleavage and boom. In 2 seconds your Iphone ready , optimized and unlocked ready for use. :D LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.