Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeff92k7

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
Am I late to the party on this? I didn't see any other threads.. My iPhone 4 plays 1080p video files just fine. When browsing home sharing, I can see all my home videos that I imported into iTunes. Many of them are encoded as 16Mbps AVC H264 1080p files. They stream to the iPhone just fine. I don't see any 1080p Movies or TV shows though.... home sharing only shows the 1080p home videos.

I first noticed this when my kids were playing 1080p home videos on their iPod touch (4th gen), so it plays fine on that gen of iPods too.

I'm assuming that if I set the 1080p flag in subler on my home videos, that they would then disappear. Looks like restricting 1080p video on iPhone 4 and iPod touch is just a software limitation and not a hardware limitation.

luga00

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
I'm even later to the party than you Jeff as after exhaustive testing I've found this myself today.

You are absolutely correct. Any movie that is tagged 1080p will not even show up in the homeshare video player on the iphone.

You can fool it however by setting that tag to non-HD and then it will show up and play fine.

The spanner in the works is purchased 1080p iTunes movies which, *can* be re-tagged to non-HD to make them show up in the iphone menu *but* then refuse to play ("Cannot Play") when you try to play them.

I've *almost* given up on Apple TBH as trying to get things working is like enacting the Da Vinci Code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.