Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Stress on casual internet activities. If you want to do anything productive on the internet, like interface with your college's web portal

Maybe at your school but mine, those of my siblings and many others have actually embraced current tech and make iPad friendly sites and even sometimes apps.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
the iPad is JUST for entertainment IMO. You can get actual work done w/ an iPad, but the MBP is so much more ideal for it.

Also, I don't think that's a good deal at all. Let me get this straight. They want your MBP for an iPad & $400??

Dude just pick up an iPad 3 on your own...

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
While I agree that having a computer first, iPad second...in many cases, such as for the OP---this isn't so cut -n- dry any longer. You present a strong case for the need of a laptop...albeit an extremely niche case. Most folks aren't in college any longer...nor do we need to practice CLEP exams. Students do. In college (or high school for that matter), a nice 13" MBP would be a perfect companion...and an iPad could be considered a distraction. However, post college...once you enter the 'real' world, get a gig...a mortgage, bride/groom, children, et al...sometimes an iPad is all that is necessary. My wife works in front of a screen all day. When she's home, her iPad is it. Her email, F/B, surfing and Pinterest...recipes and calendars, contacts and messaging, Bejeweled (That's a biggie for her;))...it's all there. Unless she's working our family business, she no longer needs a laptop. It's become unnecessary, completely. Even her casual photo editing (from her iPhone, her point and shoot is gathering dust). It's all done on the iPad.

Me though, I'm with ya---I need a computer. When I'm not doing my work though (I run the business), I'm on my iPad. It, too, gets what I need done. And what we do is definitely 'casual'....but I think most of us are casual users when we've graduated college, bought the house, had the kids...yada, yada :) It's become pretty rare that a website isn't conducive to the iPad. You may want to discuss with your university!! Many of the correspondence schools now have [Portal] Apps for access to everything necessary to participate. The traditional university is a bit behind (as is my local state college...I just took a couple of courses last semester). Hopefully, sooner than later...either they've coded their site for HTML5 access or built a front end app for access to your needs. IMO--an iPad, with it's battery life, always on access and ease of use/portability makes absolute sense to replace the laptop for the student...even though you may need to add a B/T keyboard case for full functionality

J

What's a purpose of the iPad is the question that's been here since the iPad introduction :)

I agree with your post above but in my case iPad for all those tasks you mentioned is super inefficient especially when it comes to typing. Unless you are writing two sentenced emails typing on the screen is the absolute biggest drawback of all touchscreen devices, some due to feedback but most due to small screen estate. Similar problem is present even on phones like Blackberry and Palm which have hardware keyboard, it's physically too small and it takes more energy to write something than regular sized PC keyboard.

Basically what causal users need is kick ass web browser to replace most of the apps which brings me to HTML5 on iPad or Android or any other mobile device OS. HTML5 on any mobile device is crippled for purposes of pushing apps and saving battery and CPU. I am sure 90% of the apps in AppStore can be handcoded in HTML5 and presented on desktop browsers such as Chrome or IE10 but not on iPad browser. So HTML5 is not the savior in this case and once it gets fancy and complex it uses as much as CPU or GPU as Flash or even more depending on the instance. So far I think only Nokia N9 gives you to a degree unrestricted HTML5 mobile experience. Conclusion: you still have to do native apps for every single mobile OS to get it done properly.

If you are even considering to get MacBook Pro that that is the sole reason to get it. After all its whole lot more comfortable anyway.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Have a chance to buy a pristine 2012 13" MacBook Pro on a trade for $400 + my 16gb iPad 4...

Never have had the time to experience Mac OS...and have always wanted a MacBook to learn on...and having two iOS devices is almost redundant (iPhone & iPad) at times.

What do you guys think? Is it a deal or no deal?:confused:

depends on how much 16gb ipad 4 are running these days, i would guess around 300-350ish? if so that would total 700-750. i wouldn't pay more than 750 IMO. i bought my 2011 MBP last year for 750.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.