Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 31, 2013, 01:55 AM   #1
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 65816

iPhone 4 to iPhone 5..so easy

The ease that Apple allows when moving to a new phone is really good. I backed up my daughters Iphone 4 to my MacBook Pro and got her an Iphone 5 at Verizon. When I came home, I just plugged it in and selected "Restore" on Itunes and all her photos, videos, etc were put back in. There really is an advantage in staying with Apple, rather than jumping to an Android phone.
jimbo1mcm is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 02:10 AM   #2
taedouni
macrumors 6502a

If she backups with iCloud, you can bypass using the computer.
taedouni is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:39 AM   #3
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

Its called the "Apple EcoSystem"

iPhone 5s 16GB Space Grey - iOS 7.1.2
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 7.1.2
bandofbrothers is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 04:50 AM   #4
Mic'sBook
macrumors member

Just as Apple always says, 'it just works.'

While other smartphone users spend time configuring their phones, you spend time doing the things you want to do with your iPhone!
Mic'sBook is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Darryjr
macrumors member

You can also do the same with android, back it up with Google and load all back on your new device. Just saying...
Darryjr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:10 PM   #6
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryjr View Post
You can also do the same with android, back it up with Google and load all back on your new device. Just saying...
Last I knew, native backup to Google doesn't backup SMS and call logs. Has this changed with Android 4.x?

If not, one of the great things about the iOS ecosystem is that the default settings for backup to a computer backup everything. Really helpful if you're swapping iPhones. iCloud also does a good job in terms of "turn iCloud backup on, forget it, and it restores well when needed".

Android bit me big time on the SMS/call log backup. Coming from iOS, I assumed those things were being backed up to Google's servers in Gingerbread and they weren't. I had to root my phone just to get a decent backup solution on Android -- Titanium Backup.

In fact, Google's native backup "solution" didn't even keep a backup of my folder layout so I literally had to spend hours (before I got Titanium) putting all my restored apps back into folders. Complete waste of time. I hope they've addressed those issues since Gingerbread.
avanpelt is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:43 PM   #7
vistadude
macrumors 65816

Getting a new iphone may be pretty easy to set it up, but getting a new computer or replacing a hard drive means your iphone is about to get completely wiped and the instructions apple gives you are not very good...
vistadude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:30 PM   #8
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistadude View Post
Getting a new iphone may be pretty easy to set it up, but getting a new computer or replacing a hard drive means your iphone is about to get completely wiped and the instructions apple gives you are not very good...
WRONG.

If the device doesn't use iCloud backup, Time Machine for Mac backups up all necessary data.
Consultant is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:51 AM   #9
wxman2003
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
WRONG.

If the device doesn't use iCloud backup, Time Machine for Mac backups up all necessary data.
Very true! Even better, when getting a new Mac, just use migration assistant and seamlessly transfer everything to a new mac via wifi or ethernet. Make sure on new mac that you authorize it in iTunes.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 07:36 AM   #10
annaharris
macrumors member

Yeah, recently I have used this thing. Really, it was a very easy for me. Thanks to apple.
annaharris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:06 AM   #11
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by taedouni View Post
If she backups with iCloud, you can bypass using the computer.
iCloud doesn't back up the media, does it? Or it does if there's no computer backup at all?
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:10 AM   #12
SprSynJn

My coworker was amazed in the same way when he switched from his 3GS to a new 4S. He actually said he was expecting more difficulty. Felt that it was "too simple", and that there was a gimmick somewhere that would cause a problem for sure. Kept waiting for it too. He actually sounded bored with the transition. Funny guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
iCloud doesn't back up the media, does it? Or it does if there's no computer backup at all?
iCloud only backs up major data and settings from what I've read. No applications and media. Other than pictures and videos taken with the phone.
SprSynJn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:13 PM   #13
BoostDeuce
macrumors member

Android phones are pretty simple too....
All of my contacts were google contacts which synced when I hooked up a new phone. All I had to do was move my SD card over to get the rest of my stuff.
BoostDeuce is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone