Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buckers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
Hi,

I've installed a 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro on my MacBook Air 2010 (4GB RAM, Core 2 Duo) using Boot Camp and it is regularly freezing during use (have to force a reboot). It seems to freeze at random, anywhere between 5 minutes and an hour of use.

I've tried the following solutions that I've found online, none of which seem to have worked:
  • Uninstalling Google Chrome.
  • Disabling dynamic ticks.
  • Downloading NVidia drivers from their website and installing over the Apple ones.
  • Reinstalling Boot Camp drivers.
  • Using only High Performance mode in the power settings.
  • Not connecting/disconnecting power cable while using.
  • Disabling the wireless connection.

Was just wondering if anyone here has managed to get around this problem and how you went about doing it, because I'm a bit stuck!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

buckers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
I've just tried some other suggested solutions with no joy:
  • Enter sfc /scannow into the run prompt.
  • log out of your Windows account, and then log back in

buckers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
For the record, I also tried:
  • Uninstalling Flash.
  • Disabling the page file.
  • Disabling TLS in Internet Explorer.
  • Installed missing drivers for 'coprocessor' and 'SM Bus' in device manager, using drivers found in the Boot Camp installation folder.

Anybody else having the same freezing problems?

Last edited:

buckers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
I'll cut to the chase. I checked if all updates for Windows had been installed, and apparently they had. However, upon going into the desktop control panel and checking there, there were a few updates that hadn't been successfully installed in the past. Upon installing them manually, I haven't had any problems since. I wish I'd noted what the updates were, but I honestly didn't expect that installing them would resolve the problem. Hope this helps someone!

freagul

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
Hi, I was wondering if you could confirm that this is still working? I've seen some people say that their system was stable for a few days or a month or whatever, and then started freezing again. I installed Win8 just last night and am desperate to find a solution to this mess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.