Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Why is "planned obsolescence" ? How many times must Intel wait to release a new CPU? One year, two years, three years?
They are hitting the limits of their current, fast paced Tick/Tock cycling and will probably return to 2-3 year cycles on the desktop side. It is a mature market and they are going to concentrate, along with AMD, on mobile devices.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
The current mini already has the same integrated graphics as the MBP. So does your argument hold true based on Apple's current products?
The 15" MBP (and iMac) have discrete graphics anyway.

Plus, the 5000 is only going to be in the lowest TDP chips (the ones that will be used in the Air), which once again, aren't the chips used in the Mac Mini.

There won't be any quad-core chips using the HD5000 gpu. So you're basically saying that there will not be a quad-core Haswell mac mini.

I've amended things further in the thread. It's supposed to be the iMac and MBP with discrete GPU. The 13" obviously does not have a discrete GPU. Also, it does appear that the mini will get the 5100 at some point in time. So yes, a 20-50% improvement, not the 3X as some had hoped for in the new MINI.

aggri1

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Too bad the highest end 5200 iGPU chips won't be for desktops. Which seems a little odd.
It's probably just not worth it: it would seem reasonable to me that the highest-end integrated graphics won't be all that cheap, and so in a desktop where space and power usage aren't such a concern, you'd be better off including some mid-range discrete GPU, in terms of cost/performance ratios.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Since the 13" MBP uses a 35w dual-core CPU, and since the 5200 requires a quad-core 47w CPU, it is very unlikely the 13" MBP will get the 5200.

I don't think Apple would go from a 35W CPU to a 28W CPU in the 13" MBP. Such a chip would likely be slower than the Ivy Bridge chips currently offered. So I suspect Apple will either try and force a quad in there, or do some other Intel collaboration trickery.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
What?.. a tower using an integrated graphics chip instead of a dedicated video card?

Talk about killing off the MacPro..

A lot of towers use IGPs in default configurations. They aren't on Xeon E/EP yet, so I don't see that happening on the mac pro end. If they were available, I would be surprised if IGP only wasn't an option.

The HD3000 was crap, the 4000 at least for light video editing a MBA is good enough. Any more speed will be welcome but we'll have to see right, 50% would be noticeable I'm sure.

But did some test with my MBA vs Mini with AMD 6330 and the mini is a lot faster when adding color effects, both machines have a similar setup processor wise.

It varies based on the application. If the video editing application doesn't leverage gpu frameworks for performance, there's no benefit. Typically video and graphics apps do require stable drivers, but if they don't use something specific like OpenGL or CUDA based rendering, there is little or no gain. The HD 3000 and 4000 are actually supported by a lot of apps where GMA graphics were never tested.

You do realize that the mini tracks the internals of the MBP 13" ( before that the Macbook but once it disappeared the MBP 13") ?
There are quad options available with the mini. It's just the lowest model that uses a dual core cpu at this point.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
I don't think Apple would go from a 35W CPU to a 28W CPU in the 13" MBP. Such a chip would likely be slower than the Ivy Bridge chips currently offered. So I suspect Apple will either try and force a quad in there, or do some other Intel collaboration trickery.

Interesting. So if the 13” MBP can't have the vanilla Iris, can't wait to see what this 'Intel collaboration trickery' will be. Hopefully we get a special 35W GT3e exclusive for Apple.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
While exciting I am not sure if Intel will be able to keep up with the graphics drivers like AMD and Nvidia do. Of course this is assuming Apple doesn't actually write the drivers for the GPUs they use.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Windows XP, 7 and 8 are the proof that you are wrong.

No.

Well they may have broken it with Windows 8. LOL. Windows 7 is good enough and Windows 8 is not offering a significant advantage until more touch screen laptops or Windows tablets are sold.
But you must admit you've owned more than one computer in your lifetime. I've owned dozens including PDAs, Smartphones and Tablets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.