Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Also, I like to look at the new iPod Touch as a camera. Since it has a better quality lens, resolution, flash, and safety strap, it's a very capable point and shoot. When I owned iPads, I rarely put the camera to use.

Love the panorama option on the touch. Just took this shot today:

pan01.jpg

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Very nice photo indeed. You have a good eye for the lighting and scenery.

Of course, the Panorama function helps! :)

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
I am going to go for iPT5.

Retina display, cheaper (not much), and more portable.

(I have an iPad 3 already, no need for another one.)

I did exactly the same thing for the same reasons. Had the iPod for a couple of weeks now, and like the size of it. I also have a Touch 3G and will pass that along to a niece. I listed to music and podcasts while driving. Works for me.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
I dove in and got the iPad mini. No regrets with it. The media makes the screen look so crappy however it isnt that bad.

Also since I have the 4th gen iPod touch it didn't make sense for me to pay for another iPod touch.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Is it getting harder to justify getting an iPod Touch now? I got my younger cousin an iPod touch 4th generation earlier this year and since she got a smart phone over the summer, she hasn't even touched the iPod.

It seems like such a waste. I'm sure if I had gotten her an iPad though, she'd still be using it since it's quite useful for reading and such. What do you guys think? Still thinking the iPad Mini is not for you?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Yeah, the iPod Touch get a tougher time. I still use my 4gen in addition to iPhone simple because to separate company iPhone and private music plus (and the main reason) I can save the energy for the iPhone by not playing music on it. Sometimes I was not able to charge early enough and run out of power.

And the Touch is still smaller and lighter; fits better in pockets

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Is it getting harder to justify getting an iPod Touch now? I got my younger cousin an iPod touch 4th generation earlier this year and since she got a smart phone over the summer, she hasn't even touched the iPod.

It seems like such a waste. I'm sure if I had gotten her an iPad though, she'd still be using it since it's quite useful for reading and such. What do you guys think? Still thinking the iPad Mini is not for you?

I think the problem is Ipod touch 5 starting price is way too high. At 299, its more expensive than many 7" tablet out there in the market today. And to compare with 329 ipad mini, u can do much more and have bigger area to operate.

If ipod touch 5 has a 16G at 249 then it might be a bargain. I can see a better deal at Ipod touch 4 16G because at $199, you wont feel so bad if it didn't get enough uses or even be used primarily for music because mp3 player with 16g capacity and recognizable brand are in the same price gap.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I think the problem is Ipod touch 5 starting price is way too high. At 299, its more expensive than many 7" tablet out there in the market today. And to compare with 329 ipad mini, u can do much more and have bigger area to operate.

If ipod touch 5 has a 16G at 249 then it might be a bargain. I can see a better deal at Ipod touch 4 16G because at $199, you wont feel so bad if it didn't get enough uses or even be used primarily for music because mp3 player with 16g capacity and recognizable brand are in the same price gap.

Yeah, before iPod Touch was a killer deal because it was an iPhone without a phone plan with a much thinner and lighter form factor.

Now-a-days (sad that this is only a year or two earlier), the iPod Touch is a smaller, iPad. For the iPod touch to be competitive again, I think it will really have to be in the $100 range. It's hard to justify it otherwise when so many Android phones are in that range, but have a phone function.

Due to the popularity of smartphones and tablet computers (brought to you by Apple), the iPod Touch is rendered into a children's toy. Even my teenage cousin doesn't use it anymore because it has no significant advantage over her smartphone. If this continues, it'll be a very expensive paper weight.

The iPod touch 5th gen and the iPad mini are two completely different animals.

Isn't the latter animal superior in almost every way compared with the former?

But in combination with Bluetooth and some wifi surfing it does ...

And this is when you are out and about with your iPhone low on battery? You could just always listen through your headphones if your phone was running out of battery...

JJorTech

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
Depends on what you are going to use it. If you wanna carry it around, an iPod is better for that. If you wanna carry the iPad mini around, you might need a bag. But iPad mini is comfortable for iPad apps such as GarageBand and other things. Not sure if it has Siri but IPod 5 does and it works great.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Depends on what you are going to use it. If you wanna carry it around, an iPod is better for that. If you wanna carry the iPad mini around, you might need a bag. But iPad mini is comfortable for iPad apps such as GarageBand and other things. Not sure if it has Siri but IPod 5 does and it works great.

How's sharing the iPad mini like a board game. Is it not as effective as the iPad?

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
For example I find fruit ninja 2 player a little cramped however its still playable. I haven't tested some games like monopoly however most of the ones I use are easily big enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.