Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AUDIO-ON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Hi there, It's the first time I post here, any help would be apreciated.
I have a Mac Pro Early 2009 and since a few days all fans turn at full speed right after the startup chime. I've done SMC and PRAM reset several times with no success. I started AHT and it doesen't even start and throw back the following error: 4SMC/1/1000000: SMC (hope I wrote it right). I could download a copy of ASD and after the test there where several errors: all fan test failed and the sensor tests failed all (voltage and temp) that are located on the processor board (voltage 0 and temp 128c, all the same). SMC 2x2 also failed: SMC PID sensor has tripped. I've cleaned everything inside, reconnected all cables and took out all the RAM boards, left only one of four and suddenly it worked fine, ASD passed also all the tests... After two or three restarts the same issue started again and could not been solved by any try. I think the proccesor board is faulty but don't know if there's any solution.
Thanks for your support.

ClassObject

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2010
I had a similar error when upgrading the procs on my 2009. I forgot to hookup the CPU fans. Maybe a CPU fan died or a sensor failed?

AUDIO-ON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
When the fans are quiet all sensors and fans work correctly and pass all tests. Still looking for solutions to avoid buying a new Processor board:)

AUDIO-ON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks for the link, but as I mentioned, all fans and sensor blow at full
and read 128c. Today after a couple of smc reset computer won't even start. After chime it Don't go further the grey screen with the Apple logo. Also I can't start ASD, it says starting leds and there it stays.... I'm getting out of ideas!

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
As soon as it boots you're seeing temps of 128C?

I'd guess that a sensor has gone bad (or come disconnected) and the Mac is running the fans at full speed to try and cool down. When that doesn't work, it shuts itself down / refuses to boot.

AUDIO-ON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Yes, as soon as it boots, on all sensors on processor board... I've tested all connections and they're all right.

AUDIO-ON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
The ASD test for the Memory passed without errors. Tomorrow I will try the modules another time, have no other memory modules.

AUDIO-ON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Today I finally brought the MP to an Apple Service Center. No warranty anymore...Argh! Hope it won't be to expensive. Thanks to all

AUDIO-ON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Hi to all!
At the Service Center they told that they don't know exactly where the problem is !?!? They think that it is probably the backplane board. They told me that with these problems they usually change the two logic boards and the graphic card, and still so, they say it's like Lottery! What would you do? Change these components or go for something new? Any advice would be apreciated...

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Hi to all!
At the Service Center they told that they don't know exactly where the problem is !?!? They think that it is probably the backplane board. They told me that with these problems they usually change the two logic boards and the graphic card, and still so, they say it's like Lottery! What would you do? Change these components or go for something new? Any advice would be apreciated...

I'd take it to another service provider, the guys you took it to obviously can't diagnose a fault and have a a practice of 'Swap at clients expense until it works' that is not diagnosis it's something anyone can do.

Get yourself a new, completely different to what you have RAM module. Have you looked at the battery on the board?

If a fan is not plugged in properly would it give false (128 degree) temperature readings?

Are your DIMM slots free from debris? check along each slot.

Removed every drive and PCI-e card apart from Graphics?

If all that fails you really need an engineer to take a look, the jocks at the service centre wont cut it.

Could you flash using the tool from netkas?

AUDIO-ON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Hi! Thanks for quick reply.
I could flash my MP from 4.1 to 5.1 and downgrade without problems. The Dimm slots at inspection look fine, but I can do a more exhaustive inspection. Do you when I flash the MP the SMC firmware is upgraded to? If this is so, the SMC should be fine then... The battery looks good to me but I can try with another one and I should buy another RAM module.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Hi! Thanks for quick reply.
I could flash my MP from 4.1 to 5.1 and downgrade without problems. The Dimm slots at inspection look fine, but I can do a more exhaustive inspection. Do you when I flash the MP the SMC firmware is upgraded to? If this is so, the SMC should be fine then... The battery looks good to me but I can try with another one and I should buy another RAM module.

No idea on what happens etc but I thought if the firmware on your machine had somehow corrupted then it's a good way of resolving it.

Plenty of ideas to try - I doubt it has a major issue.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Very strange - I would take it to another Mac repair center and wait for their diagnose.
Are any LEDs lightened up on the Mobo?

AUDIO-ON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Yes, it's driving me crazy! No leds light on on the MB. Only onr red led flashes when I plug in the power chord...

Last edited:

AUDIO-ON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Is it possible to have a faulty Ram module, or all the four, with a passed ASD memory test and no Memory diagnostic leds on on the processor board?

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
have you tried slimming down your ram two a single piece per processor, in various slots (always matching) ?

AUDIO-ON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
So, finally I took Mysterium MP from the Apple Service, paid 88CHF for nothing (thank you Letec!) and went home, bought a new Backplane Board Battery and suddenly IT WORKS!!!!!! I can believe it!!!! Hope the problem is still gone today. Thank you all for your support!!!

AUDIO-ON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
So, more news, my MP is doing the same, again:mad:
I've tried anything, disconnect sensors, change battery, change RAM, disconnect all hardware (processors, RAM, graphic card, HDD) and still the same...
Mi question is, why after replacing the battery everything worked fine for a day? Is there anything that can work and not work? I think a faulty chip wont do this.
Next step, change logic boards? Any suggestions?
Thanks to all

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Do you have a suitable battery tester for coin batteries?

Can you test both the old, and new motherboard batteries?

It is possible the purchased battery was old stock or defective.

Does anyone know exactly what that battery supports? It is logical that it might go bad after so many years.

AUDIO-ON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I've tried to start MP without Battery, still the same problem... I will search for another Apple Service...

AUDIO-ON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Finally, after more research looking at the errors ASD throwed back, I'm going to buy a new processor board from macparts. Hope this will solve the issue. Keep posting about it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.