Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Edge
macrumors member

[HELP] Translation of Chinese instructions for MacBook Air SSD adapter

I've just received this adapter to transfer some information from a 2010 Macbook air SSD (and as a handy back-up tool just in case.)

The instructions however, are in Chinese. They involve a jumper setting which enables (or disables) a voltage regulator (I think) marked with 1084-33 APL GH50U or some such.

If anyone can help with the translation, it would be much appreciated. (I trust this is the correct sub-forum.)

Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2013-03-16 14-50.pdf (360.8 KB, 62 views)
Edge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:06 AM   #2
canning911
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I've just received this adapter to transfer some information from a 2010 Macbook air SSD (and as a handy back-up tool just in case.)

The instructions however, are in Chinese. They involve a jumper setting which enables (or disables) a voltage regulator (I think) marked with 1084-33 APL GH50U or some such.

If anyone can help with the translation, it would be much appreciated. (I trust this is the correct sub-forum.)

Thanks in advance.
Q: how to use the jumper setting?
A: shortcut the port 1 and 2 will use the original 3.3v power output. Connecting the port 2 and 3 will use 1084-33 (a method of power output?) instead.

Q: what kind of situation can we use the original 3.3v?
A: check the SATA cable to see if there is a orange line within. If there is any then it supports 3.3v power output.

Q: why should we use the jumper setting?
A: the 1084-33 apl is should be universal and PnP friendly. However it (ic of 1084-33) might have some heat problems because it will consume more power. (The original 3.3v output should be fine regarding to the heat problem)
canning911 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Edge
macrumors member

Thank you so much.

That is extraordinarily helpful, as it would seem that I can't blow up the Macbook air SSD by choosing the wrong jumper setting. And that it down volts the 5V line on most SATA cables using the 1084-33 APL whathaveyou, hence the heat warning.

Thank you again.
Edge is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:02 PM   #4
canning911
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Thank you so much.

That is extraordinarily helpful, as it would seem that I can't blow up the Macbook air SSD by choosing the wrong jumper setting. And that it down volts the 5V line on most SATA cables using the 1084-33 APL whathaveyou, hence the heat warning.

Thank you again.
You are very welcome!
canning911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 03:39 AM   #5
eyepea
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canning911 View Post
Q: how to use the jumper setting?
A: shortcut the port 1 and 2 will use the original 3.3v power output. Connecting the port 2 and 3 will use 1084-33 (a method of power output?) instead.

Q: what kind of situation can we use the original 3.3v?
A: check the SATA cable to see if there is a orange line within. If there is any then it supports 3.3v power output.

Q: why should we use the jumper setting?
A: the 1084-33 apl is should be universal and PnP friendly. However it (ic of 1084-33) might have some heat problems because it will consume more power. (The original 3.3v output should be fine regarding to the heat problem)
I usually guess my way through the Chinese instructions of the great gadgets I buy on eBay. You had absolutely nooooo chance with that one. Hehe
eyepea is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air