Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
My iTunes library is located on an external drive. My mac always seems to want to back it up. I already separately backup my media. How can I get my mac to avoid backing up my media twice?

At least I believe thats what's happening because I have a 1tb internal drive which I use about 500gb, and I have about 600gb of media and the total time machine backup size is 1.1tb I want to do this because my time machine drive is only 1tb in capacity.

Thanks

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: Time Machine exclusions...

Hi,

You can add files, directories, and volumes to a list of exclusions, to be excluded from TM backups. Do this in the Time Machine Preferences panel or using the tmutil commands:

tmutil addexclusion [-p] <file,directory,volume>

The beauty of this is that without the -p option, this is a "sticky" exclusion, meaning that if you move the file to a different location it will still be excuded from the TM backups. So, say you exclude your iTunes Library, then later move it to a different location --- it will still be excluded from your TM backups.

Switon

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I can't seem to exclude anything from this window.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-02 at 9.04.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-02 at 9.04.02 AM.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 94

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
the plus sign is what allows you to exclude what you want to back up

Thank you so much I excluded my media folder and deleted all of my backups to start fresh I'll report back once I finish the backup.

Last edited:

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I started my backup at the time of my previous post. The backup size was a reasonable 80gb or so. Since then the backup size has gone up to 115gb and the backup is yet to be done. I am not producing content as of this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.