Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I am considering purchasing an iBook G3 (900Mhz) from a friend for $25. It has 640 MB of RAM, which is the max for this model. I know what I am getting into with a PowerPC based machine, as I already have 4. My question is- would you pay $25 for this?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I only have desktops. I've been leaning towards getting a laptop for quite some time now.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I should clarify that the MBP in my sig is the computer used by others in my family, and I rarely use it. I also would like to be able to have a laptop that isn't as valuable if it breaks.

SuperBrown

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Hollywoodland
If $25 isn't much to you then I say go for it. I have an 12 inch iBook G4 (2004, so it's over 8 years old) that still runs fairly decently to this day. I've kept it for the same purposes, as a laptop that I can easily afford to break/lose. Test drive this G3 iBook first, make sure it can at least meet your needs. My iBook struggles a bit when surfing the internet (forget trying to watch anything on YouTube). For word processing, though, it still does the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.