Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I'd wager that 99% of these Android Fans wouldn't be here if there was no place for them to hang around.

Your "Join Date" says April of 2010 yet it sounds like this is your first day. I haven't been here very long but, as far back as I can recall, "these Android Fans" have always been here.

Additionally, I'd wager that, since the creation of the sub-forum, precisely 0% of Android fans have joined MR because of the sub-forum.

As others have noted, the creation of the sub-forum has enabled mods to move certain threads out of the iPhone/iPad/iOS forums, which, in turn, has made things a heck of a lot cleaner and, in my opinion, more pleasant.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Since I don't own any Andriod products, there is no reason why I should visit the sub forum, or even piss and moan about it...

Meh

Most members seem to adopt this sensible approach. You can also block it from the forum spy so you don't even have to see the new posts made in that (or any other) forum.

As others have noted, the creation of the sub-forum has enabled mods to move certain threads out of the iPhone/iPad/iOS forums, which, in turn, has made things a heck of a lot cleaner and, in my opinion, more pleasant.

It has been a success so far and we are seeing fewer post reports from the iPhone forum.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I say make the site only compatible for iOS and OS X browsers.

That is the daftest idea I have seen here. Many people (including myself) own both Macs and PCs. It would do nothing but alienate users and probably lose MR a lot of money.

As for the alternative devices forum, it stops a lot of unnecessary arguments that were happening in the iPhone forum. If you don't like it, you can always refrain from visiting it.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Your "Join Date" says April of 2010 yet it sounds like this is your first day. I haven't been here very long but, as far back as I can recall, "these Android Fans" have always been here.

Additionally, I'd wager that, since the creation of the sub-forum, precisely 0% of Android fans have joined MR because of the sub-forum.

I'm not saying they joined because of it. I just don't think we should encourage the constant pushing of Android on iFans. I always came here (I was a longtime lurker, dating back to 2007ish) as an escape from windows fans, then android fans. The android fans only really started sharing their opinions here (to put it politely) in 2011ish...

ForceGhost

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Bournemouth, UK
If you think we should not include an android section the surely we shouldn't have an iPod, iPhone or iPad room either, after al they don't fall into the "Mac" category of "Mac"Rumors?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
It's in Preferences (top left of page) when viewing the forum spy.

Just untick the box next to Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices.

Excellent, cheers.

Can I also hide the forum from "New posts". That's where I linger the most.

Thanks for your help.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Hey All,
Sorry for bumping this - but my case and point shows in the comments from this article. Apple and Samsung Seek to Extend Infringement Claims in Second U.S. Patent Lawsuit. Here, https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16367417 , a ton of samsung fans "ganged up" and invalidated my opinions, one by one, that sided in favor of Apple. I'd wager that 99% of these Android Fans wouldn't be here if there was no place for them to hang around.

Please - can we at least put a notice that this isn't a "hangout" for Android fans, and the "other devices" section is a "if you must talk about them - talk about them here" kind of section?

It's a negative energy that brings this place down...

If you feel other members are trolling in the way you describe here, send a post report for one of them in the thread and we'll take a look. For a variety of reasons, including documentation, we would appreciate getting the complaints and tips that way.

I can see the logic behind it I suppose as it promotes page clicks and subsquent ad revenue. Unfortunately the shills and astroturfers undoubtedly drive away people who aren't interested in venturing outside the Apple walled garden.

It doesn't have anything to do with ad revenue. There are shills on both sides of the Apple/Android fence, and we deal with them when we see them or they're brought to our attention. The forum is there primarily so members who also use and/or are interested in Android can discuss those issues here.

This is true, and it's also made the atmosphere a lot better for those who want to discuss Android or compare Android to iOS. Win-win. :)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Excellent, cheers.

Can I also hide the forum from "New posts". That's where I linger the most.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry, it only works for the forum spy.

Ignore that moderator behind the curtain. :D

Go to User CP, Edit Options, scroll down to thread display options, exclude forums. To get the forum ID number, just mouse over each forum you want to exclude for its number.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
It doesn't have anything to do with ad revenue. There are shills on both sides of the Apple/Android fence, and we deal with them when we see them or they're brought to our attention. The forum is there primarily so members who also use and/or are interested in Android can discuss those

It is time I put my actions were my mouth is. Could you please delete/permaban my account.

It's about me, not MR. Ha ha.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to apologise to those I may have offended by the expression of my passive aggresiveness on this forum.

Thank you.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I wish we didn't have the "Alternatives to iOS forum". It's attracting android fans - and while I know yadda yadda yadda choice is good - I don't want them here. I like iOS. I like my iOS fan community. I don't want to get sucked into their battles, I hate the new atmosphere up in this place. It's not nice nor is it fun. Android is a stolen product - I fundamentally believe it, not because "Steve said so", and this community was better without the fandroids, IMHO.

I'm someone who is really fed-up with Apple. I've had an Android phone for the last year, hate the new iMac and will be considering a Windows machine when I next buy a computer.

But I kind of agree - this is a website for Apple stuff and having an 'alternative to Apple' section just encourages people with a different point of view to feel comfortable here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.