Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Javdogjavdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2003
Santa Cruz
Error message is as follows:

"The IMAP command “UID COPY” (to Deleted Messages) failed for the mailbox “INBOX” with server error: Error in IMAP command received by server.."

This is my first Leopard bug. The Mail program cannot delete messages using IMAP. Mail worked fine using Tiger, so that is lame. Now I have to use Webmail to actually delete a message. Any thoughts?

Jav

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

"The IMAP command “UID COPY” (to Deleted Messages) failed for the mailbox “INBOX” with server error: Error in IMAP command received by server.."

This is my first Leopard bug. The Mail program cannot delete messages using IMAP. Mail worked fine using Tiger, so that is lame. Now I have to use Webmail to actually delete a message. Any thoughts?

Jav

What IMAP server are you using? IMAP delete works fine in Leopard for me with GMail

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California

Jav
This isn't a Leopard bug. The problem is on the server end. Which service? Or is this your own web site? I have 3 different IMAP accounts, all with different servers and providers and I have zero problems.

ianpiper

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2007
Solution

This is not a server bug. It is something peculiar that seems to happen to IMAP account settings when upgrading to Leopard. Check out Mail->Preferences...->Accounts->Trash

You should see two checkboxes (if this is an IMAP account), the second of which reads "Store deleted messages on the server". This checkbox should not be checked - if it is checked, you get the error you reported.

Anyway, this happened to me on two of my machines and the above resolved it, so it is probably worth try.

Ian.
--

arnski

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
This did the trick for me, thx!

This is not a server bug. It is something peculiar that seems to happen to IMAP account settings when upgrading to Leopard. Check out Mail->Preferences...->Accounts->Trash

You should see two checkboxes (if this is an IMAP account), the second of which reads "Store deleted messages on the server". This checkbox should not be checked - if it is checked, you get the error you reported.

Ian.
--

sm1tty

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
NC
Thanks a lot, that did the trick!!!!

:)

Anyway, this happened to me on two of my machines and the above resolved it, so it is probably worth try.

Ian.
--

Executive

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
lonely at the top
this is not a server bug. It is something peculiar that seems to happen to imap account settings when upgrading to leopard. Check out mail->preferences...->accounts->trash

you should see two checkboxes (if this is an imap account), the second of which reads "store deleted messages on the server". This checkbox should not be checked - if it is checked, you get the error you reported.

Ian.
--

thank you!

jakn09ab

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
Thank you

Ian.
--
I've had a lot of troubles with this one as I somehow moved these emails from another account to my gmail trash.
I tried removing the account before and it didn't help. Then I followed your advice, and i was still the same problem. I removed the gmail and added it again and voila! Thanks a lot, my hair stopped turning gray for a few minutes! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.