Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Hey everyone!

In this forum, it happens very often that someone does not know that there is a big difference between a video container (the file ending...) and the codec that is inside. This leads to confusion and lengthens discussions.

And because I (and many others here) have explained this many times, I made an animated video with very basic information on codecs and containers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBjGUlBTHU

The hope is that linking to this video will shorten explanations and discussions. There will never be advertisement on this video and I do not gain anything from this, but I would like you (the regular forum users) to share this link when you can use it for any discussion. I also did this to get a little more comfortable with animation in Apple Motion 5, but mainly this was a lot of work that shouldn't go to waste. :)

Thanks and greetings,

Floh

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Hey everyone!

In this forum, it happens very often that someone does not know that there is a big difference between a video container (the file ending...) and the codec that is inside. This leads to confusion and lengthens discussions.

And because I (and many others here) have explained this many times, I made an animated video with very basic information on codecs and containers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBjGUlBTHU

The hope is that linking to this video will shorten explanations and discussions. There will never be advertisement on this video and I do not gain anything from this, but I would like you (the regular forum users) to share this link when you can use it for any discussion. I also did this to get a little more comfortable with animation in Apple Motion 5, but mainly this was a lot of work that shouldn't go to waste. :)

Thanks and greetings,

Floh

GREAT VIDEO!!!
It's perfect. Animations are great as well.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
That was an extremely useful video, and has furthered my knowledge on video.

Thanks a lot for sharing! That has gone straight into my favourites!

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Thanks so much for the video. I found it to be an excellent overview of codecs and containers and appreciated the specific recommendations of which to use.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Would I be correct in thinking that if a device has difficulties with e.g mkv files it is because that device cannot open the container, cannot decode the codec used and/or cannot handle the framerate.?

Sorry if by asking this question I have defeated your original intention of shortening discussions. Feel free to ignore me :)

floh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Would I be correct in thinking that if a device has difficulties with e.g mkv files it is because that device cannot open the container, cannot decode the codec used and/or cannot handle the framerate.?

Yes, probably. But that is a very broad range of problems you might have. You can start narrowing it down by first changing the container with this. In my experience .mkv containers are often problematic on standalone players. Mine can't handle them. If that doesn't work, try changing the codec with this. And if that fails, too, the framerate is your last (and most time-consuming) option.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.