Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:31 PM   #1
ihatephish
macrumors member

"Processor" VS "Memory" question.

Between my wife and I we're probably considered mostly casual users. I do enjoy some games here and there. In terms of OS longevity though, is it better to upgrade to the 3.1 i7 or the 16gb ram?
ihatephish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:35 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatephish View Post
Between my wife and I we're probably considered mostly casual users. I do enjoy some games here and there. In terms of OS longevity though, is it better to upgrade to the 3.1 i7 or the 16gb ram?
Most average or casual users won't likely notice much performance difference between processors. As far as RAM, it depends on the typical workload you run.

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:44 PM   #3
ihatephish
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Most average or casual users won't likely notice much performance difference between processors. As far as RAM, it depends on the typical workload you run.

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used
Thanks for the response. We got the 15" MBPr a few weeks ago but really have no use for a laptop as we both have iPads. And, we have a 3 month old that can only increase the odds of the laptop being dumped from the couch or coffee table.

Saw the new iMac at the apple store and I have no problem w the lack of retina surprisingly.
ihatephish is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac