Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello. I want to give a Keynote presentation to co-worker across the global via Skype. I just tested the screen sharing feature of Skype using my 17" MBP and a PC next to it. I found that when I played the Keynote presentation, there was a lag between the text slide on my screen and the one shown on the PC next to it. Video playback was even worse. Any suggestions to improve the situation? Is it possible to play Keynote presentation without having the presentation occupying the entire screen. Perhaps half the screen is devoted to skype and the other half is devoted to Keynote? Thanks.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Hello. I want to give a Keynote presentation to co-worker across the global via Skype. I just tested the screen sharing feature of Skype using my 17" MBP and a PC next to it. I found that when I played the Keynote presentation, there was a lag between the text slide on my screen and the one shown on the PC next to it. Video playback was even worse. Any suggestions to improve the situation? Is it possible to play Keynote presentation without having the presentation occupying the entire screen. Perhaps half the screen is devoted to skype and the other half is devoted to Keynote? Thanks.

I had the same issue during a presentation two days ago. Keynote has no lag until you screen share. I have another similar meeting and will probably use Go-To-Meeting's free trial if I can't find a solution. Will keep googling around. If I find a solution I'll post back here.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I had the same issue during a presentation two days ago. Keynote has no lag until you screen share. I have another similar meeting and will probably use Go-To-Meeting's free trial if I can't find a solution. Will keep googling around. If I find a solution I'll post back here.

GoToMeeting seems to be much more robust for doing screen broadcasts - I use it all the time.

It helps to have a fast connection as well.

Quite frankly, for a 1 to 1 or few presentation it's jet as easy to send the presentation and have them follow along.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I made the same presentation under the Mac version of PowerPoint. Then, I tried the share screen feature of Skype. The presentation and videos went smoothly. There was no noticeable lag at all. What is the problem with Keynote? At one point, the same Keynote presentation went so badly that the computer hung. I almost had to force boot the computer. Luckily, I regained control again and exited the application.

GreybeardedOne

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2012
Powerful Team Presentations and Briefings with ConceptDraw and Skype

I see that someone has already suggested using Conceptdraw MM over Skype, but I wanted to add some detail to the suggestion. The reason that it works is that the presentation you are going to give is downloaded to everyone's computer prior to the presentation. Once the presentation starts all of the displays are synced. This works like magic, even when there is not much bandwidth available. Plus at the conclusion of the presentation everyone who participated has a copy of all of the materials used in the briefing. The quality of the presentation is great. The downside is that I had to shell out about 200 USD per team member, however the upside is that we have found lots of uses for Conceptdraw MM so our payback period was calculated to be less then a month. Very cool solution.
skype.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.